fun school project on stock exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
ok for my info. systems class we have 1000 fake dollars to invest in as much stock from as many companies (computer related) as we can buy. We will monitor these throughout the year and the person who comes out on top will get a point added to the final grade.

so far ive bought some shares in Nvidia and Sun Microsystems.

help me out with some more ideas. google finance has tons to choose from.
thats where im building my fake portfolio

Everyone is taking a hit right now if you look at the trends from July till now. I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

That said, sticking with established name companies like IBM, Microsoft, and Apple may be a good idea to minimize your losses over the short term. Apple already took the "Steve Jobs is sick" hit earlier in the month and should decline along with the markets but not for any other reasons, AFAIK.

*shrug*

I would go heavy in Apple. They took a huge dive with the whole Jobs thing, soon people will realize it wasn't just him sitting behind a desk inventing the iPhone all by his lonesome

We actually did this in my Micro-econ class, but were allowed to pic any company - came in second with a copper heavy portfolio

The short-sale restrictions are off, now; that was a temporary thing that did not one iota of good.

I didn't understand how they could do that in the first place. I understand with commodities or whole industries, but with individual stocks?!?

How about $1 million in play money, and you are allowed to short ...

But be careful,,I shorted a stock, and lost 144% (that's right, it went up 144% .. symbol = eye

check it out Practice Investing | UpDown.com

You need a stop discipline, my friend. I wouldn't think about shorting unless I was sitting in front of a Bloomberg all day and could watch it like a hawk. One of the best I've done was this crappy little Floridian bank that was involved in all kinds of schenanigans with a builder, we shorted it when it was still at $10 and covered at a buck. The beauty is - you find a company that you know is worthless, it doesn't matter WHEN you short it - $2 to $0 is 100%, same as $10 to $0!

Back