FTSs/airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pursuit0fhoppiness

GTA Brews club member, pharma technologist
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 7 gal SS BrewBucket with FTSs. How come when my FTSs kicks on, like half of my vodka/sanitizer in my 3 piece airlock bubbles and gets sucked into fermenter? I have to keep refilling it and it's quite annoying (and adding vodka to my beer).

Air would be getting sucked into your fermenter if it was getting cooled rapidly and the headspace gas contracts. If a good portion of the cooling coil was above the liquid level, you could be chilling the headspace gas quickly and causing it to contract.

Lots of people build double air locks with mason jars to keep this from happening.
Some people use balloons. I pressure ferment, but use a water filter housing to protect against suck back and blow off.

Yowzers, this was a 4 gal batch so that makes sense. Thanks! Should've used my coil extensions for this batch. Might try to add them when dry hopping in a few days.

Back