Fruit in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
How long should I let the fruit sit in secondary? I was planning on 4 to 5 days but there is still air lock activity

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not a professional answer... but im doing a Mango Blonde Ale and Ive done some research... seems like alot of people let it soak around ten days... for mangos anyway

Ok, I'll let it go a week and then a gravity reading and in 2 days gravity reading...

It depends on how much you've added and hoe strong you want the flavor. I think a week may be good but you might want to taste it to make sure it has enough of the flavor you are after.

Remember that fruit adds fermentable sugar into the mix. Check gravities to ensure terminal has been reached before bottling.

It's been almost 2 weeks and I still have airlock activity...

GM, I am sure you have airlock activity due to all the extra sugar from the fruit. It is really easy to make gusher beers when using fruit. I wasted an entire batch of Apricot ale because I got in a hurry to bottle. Did you hydro your secondary after adding the fruit?

It's been almost 2 weeks and I still have airlock activity...

This tells you nothing about the fermentation. The beer can just be off gassing. Take a few gravity readings a few days apart from each other. If they are stable, it's done.

Off gassing can happen due to pressure or temp changes, movement of the carboy by you, a loved one, a pet etc. gravity readings are the only way to know when it is finished.

Yeah I think I'm gonna bottle my muscadine wine and take a gravity reading

Back