Frozen Pre-made wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megamanisrad

Reaction score
Hello all! Today is my brew day and I have a questions before I begin. I recently bought a Brew House IPA kit that contains 15 liters of pre-made wort. Due to circumstances beyond my control, my kit was left outside to freeze for about 5 days (I am located in northern Canada)
My kit is back to normal now...and I am going to brew as normal...any thoughts or ideas on if the wort is ruined/ok?
Thanks!!

My biggest concern would be the yeast and if it was still usable. As long as the yeast is fine, which it probably is, you will be fine as long as you oxidize the wort and that the temperature is adequate for the yeast that you are using.

Yah, I was thinking about the yeast as well. It's packaged Cooper's dry yeast, and it was frozen along with the kit. I was going to rehydrate it...I hope it's ok!

shoudn't be a problem. i freeze my third runnings to use as starters later on. and i've used frozen yeast a few times with no trouble.

Possibly too late to help but I'll throw it out there anyways:
1. Brewhouse kits are great but the yeast is not great if you have a LHBS nearby, haven't started yet and can stand to wait a day I'd highly reccomend upgrading to a dry yeast of s-04 or s-05
2. If you haven't started and want to use the Cooper's yeast rehydrate it first as per instructions to ensure the yeast is not dead before pitching. If it's dead see #1 for the solution.
3. If you've already pitched check the gravity after 48-72 hours if it hasn't moved than the yeast is dead and see #1 for the solution.

Thanks guys! So I ended up using the Coopers yeast and re-hydrating it as per Palmer's book. No activity in the air lock yet, (12 hours later) but I don't expect any movement for another day or so...
BUT I have another worry. The wort was VERY cloudy when I siphoned it from the kit to my primary (carboy) I added 4L of water and aerated it for about 5 minutes before I added the yeast. It is still VERY cloudy. Is this the norm for an IPA wort? Something doesn't seem right. I can post photos if you like! Thanks!!

I would not worry about it being cloudy. It should clear up after fermentation is done and the yeast settles out.

Cloudy isn't an issue, especially early on in fermentation the wort will be quite cloudy as the yeast are moving around and moving around all the trub. No worries about the yeast it's not awful but it's not the best, the beer will still be good as brewhouse makes great kits.
Enjoy the brewing process and RDWHAHB

Back