friends wedding beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregonducks10

Reaction score
My friend is getting married this summer and I want to make a beer with labels for it. And give them it on their wedding and also save a big bottle for their first anniversary. My problem is developing a beer for this that will age well. Any ideas anyone? He likes all kinds of beer, but she doesn't she likes more girlie beers.

Just a thought, you could brew something lighter like a Kolsch for the wedding day and then brew a different batch of something else that ages better like a barleywine/stout for the big bottle (and keep the rest for yourself)

Love the idea of keeping the rest. But I kind of wanted to surprise them with the same beer like how people save the wedding cake.

You could make a Belgian with a fruit addition, that might appease both. If you are going to give them the majority of the batch with the intent of having guests drink it then you don't want to make something too potent. (Depending on where they are having the reception and local laws, guests may not be allowed to drink.) If the beer is fairly low ABV it may not hold up well over time. So if that's the plan I would also suggest doing two different beers. Maybe make a low ABV version for the wedding and a higher ABV version in the big bottle. However, if all the beer is a gift just to them to be drank after they return from the honeymoon then one beer capable of aging well would be sufficient.

I like the fruit addition. I'm still verifying whether they can have out side alcohol. Otherwise it may just be a gift for them. I think I wanna go reasonably high abv.

I vote for a partigyle - make a big beer and a small beer. They're not going to want to get tanked on a barleywine on their wedding night anyway.

I vote for a partigyle - make a big beer and a small beer. They're not going to want to get tanked on a barleywine on their wedding night anyway.

THIS. A great idea that gives you a nice high grav beer to age and a small beer to drink day of. I like it!

I've been trying to think of the brewing for my own wedding later this year. This seems like the perfect thing to do!

:mug:

This actually got the gears going in my head - I'm expecting a son at the end of April, and this could be something fun. A "coming home from the hospital beer", and "Survived the first year" beer.

I've been trying to think of the brewing for my own wedding later this year. This seems like the perfect thing to do!

I brewed a barleywine back in July that I was just going to age as long as I could stand before I bottle it. Didn't really have a set date in mind, but it looks like I'll be getting married next fall so that might be as good a time as any. I actually don't really like champagne that much, so I was thinking it would be a cool personal touch to have that be an option for the toasts instead.

Sounds like a great a idea. I'll have to look into this more and plan it out. Any recommendations for it?

Typically people add fruit after primary fermentation is done. Fermentation typically scrubs away most of the fruit flavor and aroma. If you do want to do it pre-boil, use could definitely add it to the mash. Make sure you use rice hulls though.

Back