fridge time/head size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
Does a longer time in the fridge lead to a bigger head? I found an IPA that got pushed to the back of the fridge last week, and when I poured it, it had 5x the head than the one I poured the day before (which had been in the fridge for 1 night.)

Does a longer time in the fridge lead to a bigger head? I found an IPA that got pushed to the back of the fridge last week, and when I poured it, it had 5x the head than the one I poured the day before (which had been in the fridge for 1 night.)

I don't think it's a fridge thing. I think it's purely a longer carbonation time thing. I'm at the end of my Bavarian Wheat brew and the first few bottles had hardly any head and now I'm having to slow my pour down just to make sure I don't have a pure heady beer.

Time makes the beer taste, smell and look better.

I don't think its time in this instance. They are from the same batch and it was from one day to the next.

You are right though about the beer aging. I thought it was a dud at first but after 6-7 weeks in the bottles its pretty dang good.

Maybe I poured it a lot different I don't know.

Yes, the beer can absorb more CO2 at colder temperatures so the longer refrigeration helps. Ideally you should chill for 48 hours or more before opening, even longer is better. A week or 10 days in the refrigerator will also reduce chill haze and give you clearer beer as well as a thicker head.

Back