Fresh strawberries, questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46binder

Reaction score
My family just picked 32 quarts of strawberries today at the local strawberry farm. My wife is making lots of jam, some bread, and freezing some. Ive never done a fruit beer yet, and if I wanted to use some strawberries, what do I have to do? Do I wash and freeze them whole, and is it worth it using good strawberries or should I just use cheap storebought frozen? Im not s fan of real tart cherry beers, is there a good recipe for a strawberry beer, maybe a wheat beer? Thanks in advance!

I'd prefer store bought frozen because they're already sanitized. Otherwise, you'll want to soak those in vodka or toss them in the wort at flameout. I've seen it done both ways. Fresh is definitely going to be awesome.

I could use some strawberry bread, if your wife is so inclined.

I did a nice blonde ale then added strawberries. The blonde I did isn't posted here but Biermuncher's blonde is brewed often, is proven, and amazing from what I know. His recipe is in the recipe section here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Thanks for the reply, I actually just did the Centennial last month. Did you just rack the beer on the strawberries in a secondary? By soaking the berries in Vodka, does it change the flavor at all? We just picked them this morning, but they are so ripe if the sit long they get so soft, I would need to do something soon. The bread is more like a cake, delicious for breakfast.

If you don't need to use them immediatly, freeze them. Freezing breaks down the cell walls to let the flavors and sugar escape ...... even if it is only for a few days.

Fresh fruit can often just be rinsed and added to the beer. The alcohol will provide some protection.

If you feel OK with the fruit, just rinse and freeze, and add to the beer.

Others will disagree with this, but I always pastuerize my fruit. 145 F for 20 minutes, or 160 for 5 seconds will kill most everything. I generally add a little water, and aim for 150, and let it sit for 10 minutes before cooling.

Don't add them to boiling water/wort, high temps will set pectins and will result in a permanent haze in the beer.

Just fill a bucket with star san/water and add the sliced strawberries and let them soak for 30-60 seconds, then rinse them with some distilled or preboiled water. DONE. add them to secondary and rack ontop. Use a blowoff tube if there isnt much headspace as you will get a second fermentation with decent krausen. Ive done that method a few times. No freezing, no heating, just starsan and fresh rinse. Never had an infection.

Fresh berries are always best, and yes it will add a tart taste, but its not bad. Frozen are easier, but fresh is better.

+1 on freezing to break down the cells some. Star-san sounds like a good option for sanitizing. I did a strawberry blonde and added frozen, whole berries after flameout and when temp dropped to 170F. I think I would do secondary next time. Remember to allow for the volume of the strawberries in your fermentation buckets! And a bucket or wide mouth is better than a regular carboy, obviously, for cleaning later.

I made strawberry wine last year, and with that, I had to let it sit in secondary for close to 6 months, because the stupid thing wouldn't stop dropping lees! So if that's a problem, keep that in mind, but if you don't mind sediment, then you could do a 30 day beer easily

I did a strawberry saison last year that turned out well. A little tart but overall dry and fruity. I agree with frozen and I just dipped the sliced strawberries in the starsan before tossing in the secondary and racking on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back