Free or Cheap Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dclarkelon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am still new to brewing, I have only done 2 batches but would like to keep better notes. I am currently doing partial mashes and would like to know what the best free or cheap software is. I can't really put lots of money into this yet so i looking to do something less than $25.00. I haven't priced anything, just figured i would come here first. :mug:

I use the paid version of Brewer's Friend and it's pretty great. It's only 10 bucks a year so it's really affordable. It's all online so you can access all of your recipes and everything anywhere from any computer or mobile device. All of the calculators are pretty great too.

I use Brewtarget, great software, can't beat the price ;) It's definitely worth checking out, IMO.

I use brewgr.com. The price is great...free! I have never used anything else to compare it to but my guy at the LHBS introduced me to it.

I use BrewTarget. It's free and works for me. I think beer smith may have more bells and whistles though.

http://www.brewtarget.org/

I've got Brewtarget, I've got complaints too! It has no function for scaling the recipes down - I like to do a 1 gal for starters to see if I'm going to like the brew or not ;0. It's not for computer illiterates!
I tried the trial version of BeerSmith, worked real well, had a couple of minor glitches with it, but the price has gone up, so I had to pass for now. Haven't tried BeerTools or any others for home use, online tools are useless to me, since we have no internet out where we live and only get into town once in a while. I just downloaded Qbrew, but haven't tried it out yet.
I'm going to follow this thread to see if anything comes up.

I've got Brewtarget, I've got complaints too! It has no function for scaling the recipes down - I like to do a 1 gal for starters to see if I'm going to like the brew or not ;0. It's not for computer illiterates!
I tried the trial version of BeerSmith, worked real well, had a couple of minor glitches with it, but the price has gone up, so I had to pass for now. Haven't tried BeerTools or any others for home use, online tools are useless to me, since we have no internet out where we live and only get into town once in a while. I just downloaded Qbrew, but haven't tried it out yet.
I'm going to follow this thread to see if anything comes up.

So what didn't work about Tools -> Scale recipe?

I can't fix it if I don't know its broken.

Thanks,
Mik

Thanks for that instruction - verry much ...... I told you I'm a computer illiterate! I tried following the instructions that were posted when I downloaded - I didn't find anything about scaling the recipe .... THX!! :ban:

I just tried that tool out, when I reduced a recipe to 1 gal, it told me I have to do the mash all over again because I re-scaled it. Also, if you aren't too busy, I wish someone would update the instructions so someone like me will be able to figure out the mashing area - I've tried to do a step mash, and messed it all up - like i said, I'm a computer illiterate! You can send me any instructions that you think might help at my email addy, THX.

I just copied a stout recipe onto Brewtarget last nite, and it won't register any of the hop IBU values (far left box in additions, also in the recipe window) I've got 6 ounces of Fuggles listed, and I've got no Bitterness (IBU)'s - any way to fix that? I tried to manually enter some values but it won't let me enter anything, so I gave up.

With all that said, I do appreciate Brewtarget .... It fills in a lot of blanks for me - I'm not used to using a computer to figure out a recipe that I want to try/change/come up with. It makes things a lot faster than figuring it all out by hand. We didn't have computers in my day, nor did we mess with these foreign number systems like metric. My thanks to the chef!

I'm going to go to this thread anytime I have issues with Brewtarget, so I hope mikfire is going to monitor this thread forever :D: :rockin:

I just copied a stout recipe onto Brewtarget last nite, and it won't register any of the hop IBU values (far left box in additions, also in the recipe window) I've got 6 ounces of Fuggles listed, and I've got no Bitterness (IBU)'s - any way to fix that? I tried to manually enter some values but it won't let me enter anything, so I gave up.
D I'd you enter a time and whether it was for boil?

Did you enter a time and whether it was for boil?

Thanks for that instruction - verry much ...... I told you I'm a computer illiterate! I tried following the instructions that were posted when I downloaded - I didn't find anything about scaling the recipe .... THX!! :ban:

I just tried that tool out, when I reduced a recipe to 1 gal, it told me I have to do the mash all over again because I re-scaled it. Also, if you aren't too busy, I wish someone would update the instructions so someone like me will be able to figure out the mashing area - I've tried to do a step mash, and messed it all up - like i said, I'm a computer illiterate! You can send me any instructions that you think might help at my email addy, THX.

With all that said, I do appreciate Brewtarget .... It fills in a lot of blanks for me - I'm not used to using a computer to figure out a recipe that I want to try/change/come up with. It makes things a lot faster than figuring it all out by hand. We didn't have computers in my day, nor did we mess with these foreign number systems like metric. My thanks to the chef!

I'm going to go to this thread anytime I have issues with Brewtarget, so I hope mikfire is going to monitor this thread forever :D: :rockin:

I don't know about forever, but I hang around and help as I can.

Yes, the mash stuff isn't easy to understand. I would love to fix it, but I just haven't quite figured out anything better yet. When I do, it will get fixed.

Yes, we do ask you to redo the mash, but it should be good enough to hit the mash wizard and let it do all the hard math. The reason we do that is all of those fields are linked and related. We have to hold something constant to make the math work. Yes, it sucks but see the previous paragraph for my excuses :)

Check your equipment profile. At a guess, your hop utilization (last field, left side of the equipment editor) is probably at 0. You will need to fix that in both the equipment editor (double click on the entry in the trees) and on any recipe that profile has been used (click the button on the main pane). If that doesn't help, let me know and I will try harder.

Don't ignore the brewtarget thread. Lots of brewtarget users watch that thread and they may answer questions I can't.

I don't know about forever, but I hang around and help as I can.

Yes, the mash stuff isn't easy to understand. I would love to fix it, but I just haven't quite figured out anything better yet. When I do, it will get fixed.

Yes, we do ask you to redo the mash, but it should be good enough to hit the mash wizard and let it do all the hard math. The reason we do that is all of those fields are linked and related. We have to hold something constant to make the math work. Yes, it sucks but see the previous paragraph for my excuses :)
The trouble with the mash thingy is that I don't know what to put into some of the fields ;0

Check your equipment profile. At a guess, your hop utilization (last field, left side of the equipment editor) is probably at 0. You will need to fix that in both the equipment editor (double click on the entry in the trees) and on any recipe that profile has been used (click the button on the main pane). If that doesn't help, let me know and I will try harder.
Yup! you hit the nail on the head - I hadn't noticed that it had returned to zero ..... what a dunce! Thanks

Don't ignore the brewtarget thread. Lots of brewtarget users watch that thread and they may answer questions I can't.
Hadn't realized there was specific Brewtarget thread - Now maybe I will be able to figure out all the stuff I don't understand - just an ol' Redneck that usually flies by the seat of his pants and don't understand a lot of technical jargon! I am reading a few books tho, Beer Craft, Brewer's bible by Brian Kunath, John Palmer's How to Brew online book and Complete Handbook of Home Brewing by Dave Miller to try to get some understanding and education. When I first started brewing the only book available was a book on making moonshine, which didn't pertain too much to beer, if you get my drift. Other than that I just brewed what I could, wine, beer, cider, soda pop; reading recipes and looking up glossaries to figure out what they were talking about in some of the recipes. So far, over the years, I've never had a batch that was so bad I couldn't choke it down - some came close tho! Now with the internet and HBT, I can lurk & learn without showing everyone what a dummy I am (except for being a computer illiterate) and learn a lot about what I been doing wrong. I'll find the Brewtarget thread and start thru it as I can. Thanks all for the help.

OK Mikfire, I found a whole lot of threads about Brewtarget, but which one were you referring to?

HELP! My QBrew got crashed, and all the QBrew download site are all infected. I would really like to find a .zip from somebody. I don't even know what format they are, so I can try to save them.

I've been using brewtoad.com for a while. It's free and easy. It was very limited at first but it's gotten really good. You can store your recipes there so you can access them from anywhere.

Hey guys, I am still new to brewing, I have only done 2 batches but would like to keep better notes. I am currently doing partial mashes and would like to know what the best free or cheap software is. I can't really put lots of money into this yet so i looking to do something less than $25.00. I haven't priced anything, just figured i would come here first. :mug:

dclarkelon - BeerSmith 2 for $19.99 here if you are still in the market:

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/beersmith-2-brewing-software-downloadable-version/

Back