Free Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
seriously...would anyone be willing to try a bottle of my beer? Long story short: i'm disappointed in the result (to me it has what i would call a characteristic "homebrew" nose to it). I need someone to tell me what may have been the prob...fermentation temps too high? infected (i doubt it)

I'm on good terms with the boys out at the LHBS so, after Bad Brew #2 (or was it 3?) I brought one out there when I had to buy ingreds (again) for (another) batch. I warned them but they both hit on two things I hadn't thought of: Temperature swings during ferment & lid on during the boil. Of course, this was after the gagging stopped. (I think I'm still on good terms with them!)
Did the next batch with MAJOR attention to those (esp. the temps) & voila! Mo' betta beer!

Instead of shipping it to some tard on this board who'd drink yak piss if it was free, have someone at the brew store try it. YMMV

Temperature swings during ferment & lid on during the boil.
Did the next batch with MAJOR attention to those (esp. the temps) & voila! Mo' betta beer!

Instead of shipping it to some tard on this board who'd drink yak piss if it was free, have someone at the brew store try it. YMMV

hehe @ "some tard on this board"

as far as the lid goes...did you leave it on during the whole boil? This leads to DMS...correct?

"This leads to DMS...correct?"

If that means "Dumped My S**t" down the drain & grabbed a Stella, YUP!

Oh, and yeah, lid on the whole boil. Never more!

Like Bruscar said I would bring the brew to a Homebrew shop or enter it in a competition they will give you feed back on what is wrong with it.

If you really want to send it to someone though, you can send it to me and I will email you what I thought about it.

Like Bruscar said I would bring the brew to a Homebrew shop or enter it in a competition they will give you feed back on what is wrong with it.

If you really want to send it to someone though, you can send it to me and I will email you what I thought about it.

pm sent...

After hearing general stories about people's experiences at LHBS's I would much rather send to "some tard on this board". But choose wisely, not just the first guy to ask for your free beer. PM, someone who knows. There is at least one BJCP judge on this forum I know, probably more.

I'm on good terms with the boys out at the LHBS so, after Bad Brew #2 (or was it 3?) I brought one out there when I had to buy ingreds (again) for (another) batch. I warned them but they both hit on two things I hadn't thought of: Temperature swings during ferment & lid on during the boil. Of course, this was after the gagging stopped. (I think I'm still on good terms with them!)

Did someone say free yak piss?

The problem with this is not all LHBS are created equal - there are many many out there that you would be better off sending it to people on this board. Just look through people that do a lot of critiquing in this forum and see who is giving the type of analysis you need. Not many people will turn down free beer, even if its just to help someone out.

Back