Franken-MLT Build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
My home depot 10 gallon cooler MLT is starting to crack in the inner liner. The heating and cooling has caused a section to "pooch in" and back, leading to thin cracks. This leads me to decide on a Stainless Steel MLT (that sucker won't crack).

Problem is, my current MLT holds heat SO WELL. Stainless is not known to hold heat very well.

Hmmm...

Why not...COMBINE THE TWO!?!

I need to find a SS pot that will fit inside the cooler, or nearly fit inside. If I have to, I'm going to cut the cooler in half, long ways and fit the pot inside. Expanding foam will fill the cut.

FRANKEN-MLT!!!

So, who makes a 10 gallon SS pot that will fit in a 10 gallon cooler?

:rockin:

Take the cooler to a fabricator and ask him to weld up a SS liner for it. Perfect fit :D Other than that, you'd likely need to take the cooler with you while shopping. Most pots will have handles that will get in the way.

This is FRANKEN-MLT.

I am not adverse to cutting the handles off or trimming the top of the pot, if needed.

:D

I am not adverse to cutting the handles off or trimming the top of the pot, if needed.

:D

Averse.

Yeah, yeah - I know.

johnnyd2723-albums-ohio-meet-8-09-picture43535-grammar-nazi2.jpg

How about find the ideal size and shape for the pot you want to use and wrap with insulation and sheet metal. Bobby M did this recently to his keggle MLT.
Other than that, if you find a pot that fits snugly, let us know.

I use a 10 gal SS pot as my MLT. I wrapped it with the Home Depot duct reflectix stuff and I don't lose a single degree in an hour. I know you want to rip up your cooler and all, but I'm just sayin....there's a simpler way.

I use a 10 gal SS pot as my MLT. I wrapped it with the Home Depot duct reflectix stuff and I don't lose a single degree in an hour. I know you want to rip up your cooler and all, but I'm just sayin....there's a simpler way.

How does this work when you're direct firing the MLT w/ the insulation on it?? Does the flame from the burner melt the insulation at all??

I'm all electric with my Brutus 20 system. You are right though, there is a fire hazard issue if you direct fire.

That's the bubble wrap stuff, right? It reall works that well? How many layers did you use?

It's not bubble wrap, it's the reflectix duct insulation. About $16 a roll and I have insulated 3 kettles with one roll. Just one wrap around and my mlt holds perfect temp. It's self sticking and pretty easy to put on.

It's not bubble wrap, it's the reflectix duct insulation. About $16 a roll and I have insulated 3 kettles with one roll. Just one wrap around and my mlt holds perfect temp. It's self sticking and pretty easy to put on.

Yeah, the bubble wrap stuff. It is a double layer of bubble material, with aluminum and poly-something around it.

Good stuff.

Did you use a single or double layer of it?

ETA: One layer, missed that.

Back