Found it interesting to sort my brew log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I keep a commercial brew log and occasionally post the reviews in the sticky in this subforum. I try to be objective with my "scoring" system - 10 points each for Appearance, Aroma, Flavor, Mouthfeel, and Overall.

Here, I added the scores in a total column, then sorted from best to worst. I'd like to re-score Hoegaarden and Stone IPA in particular. While I like those two beers, I'd choose several from further down the list over them. However, for the most part, the list reflects my taste. It's not a comprehensive list of every beer I've every had, but I try to make an entry for anything new that I try. I'm enjoying keeping a record of beers I've enjoyed (or hated).

Hoegaarden - Hoegaarden
Gordon - Oskar Blues
Stone IPA - Stone
Espresso Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide
Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide
Hefe-Weizen - Paulaner
Bigfoot 2009 - Sierra Nevada
Mephistopheles Stout - Avery
Saison Dupont Vieille Provision - Brasserie Dupont
Hop Rod Rye - Bear Republic
Supplication - Russian River
Old Rasputin - North Coast
Delirium Nocturnum - Huyghe
Hardcore IPA - Brew Dog
Little Sumpin' Sumpin' - Lagunitas
Divine Reserve 11 - St Arnold
Double Black IPA - Alaskan Brewing
Maredsous 10 Tripel - Duvel Moortgat
Koningshoeven Dubbel - Brouwerij de Koningshoeven
Collaboration not Litigation Ale - Avery / Russian River
Salvation - Russian River
Hobgoblin - Wychwood
Banana Bread Beer - Wells & Young's
Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus
OREgasmic Ale - Rogue
Strongbow - Bulmers
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone
Damnation (Golden Ale) - Russian River
Mama's Little Yella Pils - Oskar Blues
Dale's Pale Ale - Oskar Blues
Maredsous 8 Dubbel - Duvel Moortgat
Trippel - New Belgium
Winter Stout (09) - St George
La Folie (Lips of Faith) - New Belgium
Namaste - Dogfish Head
Chocolate Stout - Rogue
Milk Stout - Left Hand
HopDevil - Victory
Curieux - Allagash
Kingfisher - Kingfisher?
Drop Top Amber - Widmer
Three Philosophers - Ommegang
Brother Thelonious - North Coast
Chipotle Ale - Rogue
Old Chub - Oskar Blues
Delirium Tremens - Huyghe
Anniversary 2008 - Sierra Nevada
Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
Bigfoot 2011 - Sierra Nevada
Session Black - Full Sail
Censored (The Kronic) - Lagunitas
Old English Porter Unplugged - New Glarus
Bashah - Stone/Brew Dog
Ranger IPA - New Belgium
Broken Halo IPA - Widmer
Stella Artois - Stella Artois
Double Bock - Sam Adams
Tripel - Westmalle
Maximus - Lagunitas
Levitation - Stone
Mocha Porter - Rogue
Nefarious Ten Pin - Ska
Blackthorn - Constellation Europe
Pine Belt Pale Ale - Southern Star
Chicken Killer - Santa Fe
Dogma - Brew Dog
1554 - New Belgium
Southern Hemisphere Harvest - Sierra Nevada
Mana Wheat - Maui Brewing Company
Porter - Michelob
Immortal IPA - Elysian
#100 Barleywine - Nøgne Ø
Paradox Isle of Arran - Brew Dog
Gubna - Oskar Blues
Hopus - Lefebvre
XS Imperial Red Ale - Rogue
Xingu - Cervejaria Sul Brasileira
Organic Cherry - Samuel Smith
Theobroma - Dogfish Head
Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl
Monk's Brew - Abbey Beverage Co.
Curve Ball - Pyramid
Samael's Oak Aged Ale - Avery
Red Stripe Lager - Red Stripe
Golden Wheat - Anheuser-Busch
Triple Bock - Sam Adams

Gordon definitely deserves to be on top. Also, it is now called G'Knight (Not Gordon). Gordon Biersch went after Oskar Blues to change the name.

Interesting list though.

Gordon definitely deserves to be on top. Also, it is now called G'Knight (Not Gordon). Gordon Biersch went after Oskar Blues to change the name.

Interesting list though.
I think I had a four pack from the last batch of Gordon that Oskar Blues canned (bought early this year). I kept an empty one just because. Check out the date stamp:

scaledp1030573.jpg

scaledp1030578.jpg

That's funny.

I just found a Beverages and More in California that had both G'Knight and Gordon side by side. I didn't check the canned date because this beer is better when it's fresh.

I'm going to blaspheme here, but I *didn't* like the Gordon. It's just so over-the-top with the hops that it almost tastes "sticky" to me. I've heard JZ talk about beers that are loaded with SO many hops, it's almost like it stops being bitter and begins to get a cloying kind of sweetness to it. This is the one beer I've had that reaches that point.

But that's just me. I think Dale's Pale Ale is one of the best beers ever brewed, but also don't care for Ten Fity (again, just *too much*). Your mileage will almost certainly vary!

EDIT: I should say that I had the beer over the summer, so it had probably was at least seven or eight months old when I tried it (it was Gordon, not G'Knight; I didn't know until after the fact that meant it had been sitting around for a while). I don't *think* that was the problem, though - it still had plenty of hops in it! Perhaps, perhaps some of the bittering would have dropped away over that time, leaving it in lesser balance that when it was perfectly fresh.

I'm going to blaspheme here, but I *didn't* like the Gordon. It's just so over-the-top with the hops that it almost tastes "sticky" to me. I've heard JZ talk about beers that are loaded with SO many hops, it's almost like it stops being bitter and begins to get a cloying kind of sweetness to it. This is the one beer I've had that reaches that point.

You know this beer is only like 60 IBUs, right? They do dry hop it quite a bit, but I just made a clone myself (Based on Jamil's CYBI) and there are no where near the amount of hops that your traditional IPA / IIPA uses.

I agree that Gordon has a syrupy sweet quality to it. It is definitely best fresh - I've had some older cans, and they're not nearly as tasty. Both Gordon/G'Knight and Ten Fidy are fairly over the top, and that's why I like 'em.

You know this beer is only like 60 IBUs, right? They do dry hop it quite a bit, but I just made a clone myself (Based on Jamil's CYBI) and there are no where near the amount of hops that your traditional IPA / IIPA uses.

Understand. It's not the bitterness of the hops that's the problem (for me), it's the sticky/syrupy character from all of those late hops/dry hops they add. If anything, I might like it a little better if it was a little more bitter.

But... different strokes. Just not my thing.

Understand. It's not the bitterness of the hops that's the problem (for me), it's the sticky/syrupy character from all of those late hops/dry hops they add. If anything, I might like it a little better if it was a little more bitter.

But... different strokes. Just not my thing.

Cool.

This brew reminds me of many Lagunitas brews and I love their Imperial Reds.

Can't get enough of them.

Cool.

This brew reminds me of many Lagunitas brews and I love their Imperial Reds.

Can't get enough of them.

I haven't had that many different Lagunitas beers, but Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is about as good an IPA as I've had, in no small part because it's so freakin' drinkable (and yeah, it might not be technically a pure IPA because of all the wheat, but it's more like an IPA than like most "American Wheat" beers).

If I didn't have to get up in six hours, I'd head down to the cellar and grab one right now!

Back