Found a new technique for chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
This should have been obvious to me, but now in September our tap water is probably the warmest it will be all year here in NYC. It was just below 70. I needed to chill my 5 gallon batch and I couldn't get it below 80, unless I had all day. But my hose to my immersion chiller is long so I coiled it up and stuck it into an ice water bucket, and within minutes I had the wort down to 70.

Like I said, this should have been obvious, and I'm sure it is used by many of you in the warmer climates. It was new to me. Now that I've done it, I'm thinking that I can get my wort down to lager pitch temps when I need it. I would need an even longer hose I think, or maybe a dual purpose jockey box, for both serving and chilling, that is more efficient on the heat transfer.

That'll do it. I've even considered getting a second chiller to hang out in a salt water ice bath and then run through the kettle.Then get a pump and run it on a loop.

I run my cooling water through my old immersion chiller in an ice bath and then to my cfc. It helps. This is usually refered to as a prechiller.
l

From the Gulf Coast-Prechiller heresy-prechilling the COOLANT in a Cu tube in ice bath does NOT really work efficiently since it requires the coolant to be kept to a trickle which defeats the rapid coolant flow needed;in the extreme of ZERO flow (a terrible situation for chilling the wort) the 84 degree coolant and 32 degree ice bath average eventually so that 84+32 =116;116/2=58 result whereas pumping the 32 degree ice water delivers a coolant much cooler or nearly as good is a post chiller in which WORT trickles-the facts are COOLANT must be rapid and WORT must trickle to loose calories well.If you have a concentrated boil try freezing dechlorinated water in some water bottles and cutting out the odor free magacube.

Back