Forgot to add whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjackson

Reaction score
I brewed a Scottish 80-Shilling the other day. My brews up to this point had been kits, so everything I needed was included in the box. On this one, I decided to put it together myself from a recipe I got from an old episode of The Jamil Show. In my haste to get everything together and brew, I forgot to buy a whirlfloc tablet. I know that the main reason for using it is clarification, and that the beer will probably still taste fine without it, but is there anything I can add/do at this point to do what the whirlfloc would have done? It's been in primary for about 72 hours as of this post.

Let your primary continue to ferment until it is completely finished. Transfer to a secondary, add some gelatin and crash coll for 72 hours. Should have very clear beer.

This just happened to me. Brewed a batch of IPA yesterday and pitched the yeast last night. Realized this morning I forgot to add the whirlfloc tablet. Pretty excited about this brew...Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe, & Cascades. Relieved to hear no whirlfloc probably won't make much of a difference.

I just did the same thing on my last batch - didn't set the timer figuring I'd remember (and lo and behold I didn't remember ;-).

But, it's a Black IPA, so it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway!

Back