Forgot to Add Rice Syrup Solids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phryan516

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just completed my second ever batch yesterday - it’s a Mexican style lager akin to Corona that I made using a Northern Brewer kit. As I completed it, I thought something was off because the color of the wort was much darker than I expected for this style of beer. Just today I realized that I neglected to add the rice syrup solids while brewing the beer.

I’m trying to figure out what I should do. Will not adding them make a significant difference in the taste and/or ABV? Will opening the fermenter and adding them at this point be too late? How likely is the risk of infection if I do this?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!!

You can dissolve the rice solids in boiling water, cool to your fermenter temp, and then add to the fermenter. Without the additional fermentables your beer will be darker and weaker. The risk of infection is low if you use boiling water to dissolve the rice.

You can dissolve the rice solids in boiling water, cool to your fermenter temp, and then add to the fermenter. Without the additional fermentables your beer will be darker and weaker. The risk of infection is low if you use boiling water to dissolve the rice.
Thank you so much for the reply. I have 8 oz of the rice solids to add. Any idea how much water I should use to dissolve them?

Thank you so much for the reply. I have 8 oz of the rice solids to add. Any idea how much water I should use to dissolve them?
What is the batch size? I should have asked that first. In a 5 gallon batch you could use a couple quarts, but if this is a 1 gallon batch you won’t have much headspace in your fermenter.

What is the batch size? I should have asked that first. In a 5 gallon batch you could use a couple quarts, but if this is a 1 gallon batch you won’t have much headspace in your fermenter.

It’s a 5 gallon batch. So dissolve the rice solids in maybe 2 quarts of water and add it into the fermenter? Do you think I should sanitize the stainless steel spoon I have to mix it into the wort or just add it in and cover it back up?

It’s a 5 gallon batch. So dissolve the rice solids in maybe 2 quarts of water and add it into the fermenter? Do you think I should sanitize the stainless steel spoon I have to mix it into the wort or just add it in and cover it back up?
Anything that goes into beer on the cold side of the process needs to be sanitary. I wouldn’t stir it in, just slowly pour it into the fermenter. The yeast will find it.

Anything that goes into beer on the cold side of the process needs to be sanitary. I wouldn’t stir it in, just slowly pour it into the fermenter. The yeast will find it.
Thanks for all the help. Just added it to the fermenter. I’ll have one for you when it’s ready 🍻

Back