Force Carbing Set and Forget Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmh2

Reaction score
Just kegged my first batch yesterday. Put the pressure at 10-12 psi, purged the CO2 and then plan on letting it sit for a couple of weeks to carb in the keggerator.

Is it possible to overcarb if the pressure stays at 10-12 psi for to long? Say 4-5 weeks b/c I may be out of town traveling?

Once carbed do I then drop the pressure down to serving pressure (4ish psi)?

No it's not possible to overcarb, and you leave it there until the keg is empty, if you drop the pressure it can cause foaming and loss of carbonation. Remember that temp plays a big part as well.

_

It'll be just fine. Mine are usually carbed pretty well doing just that at 7-10 days. You don't need to lower the pressure for serving. Leave it at 10-12psi and you're good.

If you want to get technical, overcarbed and undercarbed are only terms that make sense in relation to a desired carbonation level. A bitter at 3 volumes is overcarbed but a Hefeweisen would not be. Philosophy aside, 12 psi is pretty common set point for most beers if your fridge is at 40-45F.

If you want to get technical, overcarbed and undercarbed are only terms that make sense in relation to a desired carbonation level. A bitter at 3 volumes is overcarbed but a Hefeweisen would not be. Philosophy aside, 12 psi is pretty common set point for most beers if your fridge is at 40-45F.

I'm actually resigned to the fact that every single kegger on here carbs everything at 10-12psi, regardless of temp or style. sigh

_

I'm actually resigned to the fact that every single kegger on here carbs everything at 10-12psi, regardless of temp or style. sigh

I'll second that. I read and read about volumes and temps for each style when I started brewing, and even bought multiple regulators to be able to carb/serve each style the way they are intended to be. Now everything gets 10-12psi at ~40°. IMHO, it's an area to apply KISS.

Back