force carb AND priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeyawd

Reaction score
Hey Guys, have any of you ever experimented with adding small amounts of priming sugar, while still using force carbonation to bottle? I had a chance to visit Mendocino Brewing a couple weeks ago and had a great tour with one of the head guys there. I may have misunderstood him, but it seemed that they force carbed along with adding a small amount for corn sugar to help with shelf life. Not enough sugar to be detectable, but enough to perhaps eat up any O2 that may be lingering around after the bottle is capped. It sounded like this is the standard practice in the industry, but had trouble finding anything about it on the forum.

Questions: has/does anyone use this technique? if so, will you walk me through your process including calculations?

Thanks!

I'll tell you that it is not too my knowledge standard practice in the industry. We always force carbed, except for our bottle conditioned beers. When you force carb the beers (especially for the big guys) the bottling machines purge the bottles with CO2 before filling so there is no O2.

I'll tell you that it is not too my knowledge standard practice in the industry. We always force carbed, except for our bottle conditioned beers. When you force carb the beers (especially for the big guys) the bottling machines purge the bottles with CO2 before filling so there is no O2.

Thanks. I probably was not understanding things as they were flying at me. In your opinion, could there be any shelf life benefits to a small amount sugar added this way...even if not to add noticeable carbonation changes.

Latest posts

Back