Forbidden Metal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruy Lopez

Reaction score
Am I correct in my thinking that only only metals that should be employed when constructing brewing equipment are stainless steel and copper?

Hmm...ideally. But that's not the reality as far as I have ever seen. You always end up with some vinyl hoses involved, brass valves, aluminium pots, etc...

When I put together my current setup, I did spring for stainless ball valves which are a lot more expensive than brass. I really don't think brass causes harm as long as you don't scratch it up, but stainless is more ideal for sure.

It's tough to avoid plastic tubing unless you are handy with the soldering iron and build an entirely copper plumbing system. Sounds tough to me. I'm always moving things around, and the flexibility of the plastic tubing is very handy.

Aluminium is a hotly debated topic. Is it safe or does it cause alzheimers? Well, I've definitely brewed in aluminium, but I do prefer my stainless kegs. I don't think I have alzheimers...

So, I guess, yes is the answer to your question, but I imagine that achieving that goal will be tough. And it's still worth brewing even if you don't have a stainless/copper system throughout.

I have read where some people say metal other than stainless steel will cause health problems and give off flavors. But for every thing that says other metals are bad there is another to say they are fine.
I currently use a aluminum pot and have not notice it causing flavor problems and my health has not changed (still healthy).

I've discovered that the new interpreter that works in my classroom has been welding and such since he was 12. Coincidently, a friend of his just introduced him to home brewing.

I showed him some plans for a keg system a few days ago. His eyes lit up. He's agreed to work for beer and some sourdough bread.

I can live with that.

After bottling this weekend I'm going to head out to find what I need.

Ruy Lopez said:
I've discovered that the new interpreter that works in my classroom has been welding and such since he was 12. Coincidently, a friend of his just introduced him to home brewing.

I showed him some plans for a keg system a few days ago. His eyes lit up. He's agreed to work for beer and some sourdough bread.

I can live with that.

After bottling this weekend I'm going to head out to find what I need.

How old is he now?

He's almost 14. One of my students, I told him I'd give him extra credit.

Could you imagine the headlines?

He's the interpreter for one of my deaf students. Late 30s guess. Used to do custom bike welding and such.

It probably doesn't matter what metals you use, but just be careful that you don't let certain metals touch each other in the wort. If they are at opposite ends of the galvanic table, one will corrode like hell. Have a read of any decent materials or physics text book and you'll find a table and explanation.

I wasn't thinking one day and used a galvanised steel washer on a brass valve in a stainless pot. The zinc corroded away and the beer ended up with a metallic taste.

Janx said:
Aluminium is a hotly debated topic. Is it safe or does it cause alzheimers? Well, I've definitely brewed in aluminium, but I do prefer my stainless kegs. I don't think I have alzheimers...

This is the only thing I'd mention too. I don't think its worth the uncertainty, despite the cheapness of all those turkey fryers. If you want to save some money, get an enamel kettle instead of aluminium. Stainless would be best though.

Is there some chemical reaction that goes on between the brewing beer and an aluminum pot? I know that plenty of resturaunts use aluminum pots to cook all sorts of foods, including acidic ones. So is there a risk of the alpha acids from hops etching the aluminum? Or is the concern mainly that an aluminum pot will pick up flavors/aromas from previous batches? I am currently shopping for a brew pot, and don't really have the $100 plus to get a fancy all clad stainless pot.

There's no specific research that links aluminum kettles and alzheimers or other dimensia, and several tests of aluminium and stainless supposedly show the same levels of residual aluminum (from water).

Its really a matter of preference, I suppose.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/external/faq/aluminum.htm

Read that. The key is long term exposure. This reminds me of a story I heard many years ago about liquor distilling. The basic drift of the story went like this: "Life-long liquor distillers were often crazy. This was due to the fact that they used lead pipes in their stills. Long term exposure to lead had been proven to cause paranoia, hallucinations, and overall mental disease" Bla bla bla... That's not exact story I read, and I think it was written in the 1910's or so. But it was what I remember of the basic jist of the story.

Anyhow... I don't know for a fact if aluminum causes alzheimer's or not, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. If I can use a stainless steel kettle to boil wort, why would I want to use an aluminum one? Perhaps that long term exposure to aluminum does not cause any mental disease. On the same hand, that's probably what people thought about lead a hundred years ago.

Ditto that. I wouldn't want to risk the even remotest possibility. Of course, this is coming from a smoker who eats fast food a lot and doesn't exercize, doesn't wear a mask at the shop with wood dust and paint fumes, etc...so what should I care.... :(

You definitely do not want to use lead. It's poison.

Woman can pass on mental/physical defects when breastfeeding.

Some scientists are finding the same with thimerisol (mercury) in the vaccines.

It's been estimated that 1 in 166 children in the US has autism. We believe my greatgrandson (4) and possibly his brother (3) and sister (2) has it too.

Autistic children have up to 87 times (that's TIMES) the percentage of mercury in their systems than "normal".

Back