for $5,000,000 would you never drink beer again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can tell it sounds like most of you would switch one vice for another AKA you are alcoholics. Me on the other hand and a small majority of others on here actually have a passion for said alcohol which is "BEER".

Biggie and Puff said it best, "Mo Money Mo Problems!"

I prefer the problems that come from being low middle class with beer then the rich ones that come with Bourbon and Wine.

Well hell yes. I'd sell my mother for $5 mill.

I am not a moral man.

Chances are I'd take that 5 million, then drink beer deep in the bowels of my mansion. Try and catch me! If you were dumb enough to give me 5 million dollars for not drinking, then I'm sure I could keep you fooled.

Worst case scenario, I'd move to Colorado and start a new hobby.

Would I and my family be more likely to be happier, more fulfilled people throughout our lives with millions or with homebrewing and beer? I haven't noticed the very wealthy actually being happier than my lower to middle class drinking buddies.

I hope I would let the money go and keep enjoying a good thing, but if it came down to it, I fear it might be difficult to resist the money. Fortunately, I will never have to find out if I actually love riches more than beer, because no one is that interested in seeing anyone give up beer.

This is why you could still brew and enjoy something else, like wine, instead and still get $5 mil. I'd really really miss beer, but I think I could do it.
I told my girlfriend about this thread and she said, I don't think I could do that for chocolate. I was surprised, but what's money if you're miserable? Why give up something you truly love? Money is just a means to an end, for the most part. It doesn't bring happiness, love, or fulfillment. And if you're stupid, it won't even bring financial security.
And I don't think $5 million is enough for me to live the rest of my life on, given that I'm only 30. I'd still work a part time job, I think. In a brewery? haha, probably not.

Lol! I'd probably give up sex for $5 mil...

Wait. I'm married. I already gave up sex. Buhdadum.

I've been wondering what the answers to that question would be like.

And then "would you rather give up beer or sex for 5 mil.?" The crazy questions are limitless as well as the responses.

Sure, there is still Rum.

I would be able to quit working thus no more drug testing opening up a whole mess of possibilities.

I would be very surprised if anyone would turn down $5 million if it was sitting in front of you...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes.

From what I can tell it sounds like most of you would switch one vice for another AKA you are alcoholics. Me on the other hand and a small majority of others on here actually have a passion for said alcohol which is "BEER".

Is it not possible for me passionate about two different beverage types which contain alcohol, or does that instantly qualify me as an alcoholic?

My happiness doesn't hinge on alcohol being a part of it, same with money...but money pays my bills which makes me happy and also affords other hobbies and travel.

So I am a most definite yes to the $5mil (US) to give up alcohol.

Yes.

Is it not possible for me passionate about two different beverage types which contain alcohol, or does that instantly qualify me as an alcoholic?

I used the word "vice" in my post. He is saying that if beer is a "vice" for someone that makes them an alcoholic. It's my fault for using that word, I don't word well sometimes. ;). I said "vice", but I guess what I really meant was 'hobby', or primary form of entertainment/relaxation. If the deal was to never touch alcohol in any form again for 5 Mil I would take the deal just as quickly! So it's my fault for using the wrong word.

In truth, beer brewing and beer culture is my primary hobby and interest and has been for a while now, but I enjoy brewing beer, building/tinkering with equipment, and learning about brewing more than I enjoy drinking the beer. It's the tinkering and the process that I really enjoy, that's why I built a Kal panel and an EHERMs system. I try to give away a lot of the beer I brew. A good analogy is my Grandmother and her baking. She LOVES baking, mostly deserts. She gives most of them away, but eating them is only a part of why she likes baking. She just likes the process. She enjoys being in the kitchen and feels proud of her results. This is how I feel about brewing.

So what would I do instead of brewing if I had 5 Mil? I would move to Hawaii and do the two things I enjoy even more than brewing: scuba diving and fishing/spearfishing. I would trade brewing and drinking beer in a heartbeat for the ability to move to the tropics and have my dream lifestyle. This is what I really meant, but was too lazy to type the first time around.

As for being called an alcoholic, I apply the same method of reasoning to that as I do to any personal problem that is brought to my attention, which goes something like this:
Am I this thing/do I have this problem? If no then go on with life. If yes then proceed to next question.
Is being this thing/having this problem bad? If no then go on with life. If yes then proceed to next question.
What steps should I take to avoid being this thing/rectify this problem? Make action plan and put this plan into action immediately. Proceed to next question.
Do I owe someone an apology? If yes then apologize. If necessary let them know what steps you are doing to rectify the problem and ask them to hold you accountable if they are family/friend and willing to do so.

My Grandpa taught me this way of thinking when I was just a little boy, and it has served me well my whole life. Sometimes its hard to think through it right away though, like when my wife tells me I'm being an arsehole. Later when I've cooled off I'll work through it, and the apology step usually goes a long way towards a good nights sleep in my own bed :D

This thread continues to go on.....? and on, and on....

I have sent my bank routing info & account number to the OP
I am still waiting for the 5 million to be sent to my account.....?

And until then, I will continue to enjoy brewing & drinking beer.

I will put off my new hobby of classic car restoration until the monies hit my account.

:D

I get that this was probably posted for a laugh, but if trying to make a point, it's a terrible example. They're beards are they're brand. It's who they are and I would assume a good amount of their income comes from those beards through endorsements.

Then there's the actual money. $1M split between 2 guys (yeah, I know there are 3 members, but only 2 have the beards) that's $500K each. Take away taxes and you're left with maybe $350K if you're lucky. Now think about how much money they'd lose from endorsements or people who would stop going to their shows because they "sold out". Surely not worth $350k.

Now if you went up to them today and told them they'd each get $5M to shave their beards..... I'm wondering if their answer would be different. Maybe so, maybe not, but I'm curious.

I would be very surprised if anyone would turn down $5 million if it was sitting in front of you...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it involved trading in beer I would. With an engineering job I should make something around $3.3 million over my working lifetime (assuming I work for 42 years). That means the real question is would I trade in beer for a $1.7 million more (since I would quit my job the day I made $5million) than I would already make. Still no. The first couple million are worth a lot (financial security, paying off loans, buying everything I really actually want etc.). The last couple million are just more decimal places. I'd probably end up giving the extra away because I wouldn't know what to do with it.

If it involved trading in beer I would. With an engineering job I should make something around $3.3 million over my working lifetime (assuming I work for 42 years). That means the real question is would I trade in beer for a $1.7 million more (since I would quit my job the day I made $5million) than I would already make. Still no. The first couple million are worth a lot (financial security, paying off loans, buying everything I really actually want etc.). The last couple million are just more decimal places. I'd probably end up giving the extra away because I wouldn't know what to do with it.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. There's this thing called life. It messes up plans, sets you back, and generally just gets in the way. With the way the world is and more specifically here in the US, there are no guarantees..... like knowing you'll make $3.3 million dollars over your lifetime. Just ask your parents how their 401Ks and other investments worked out over the last 5-10yrs.

I'd take that $5M in an instant.

Seriously, I enjoy beer like any sane person. But it doesn't define me. It doesn't control me. It's one of my many interests. For financial security for me and my family, and the added bonus of being able to finance a few of my other hobbies, I'd do it immediately.

I'd like to think that I would be responsible enough to live a good life without blowing $5M. It's not an extreme amount for a family to live on to the end of their days. In fact, I would even consider investing safely and living off the interest.

I'd take that $5M in an instant.

Seriously, I enjoy beer like any sane person. But it doesn't define me. It doesn't control me. It's one of my many interests. For financial security for me and my family, and the added bonus of being able to finance a few of my other hobbies, I'd do it immediately.

I'd like to think that I would be responsible enough to live a good life without blowing $5M. It's not an extreme amount for a family to live on to the end of their days. In fact, I would even consider investing safely and living off the interest.

I agree....I wouldnt quit my job im only 27. I would invest and try to live off the interest....and just take alot more vacations.:D

No. If someone gave me 5 million, I'd use part of it to start a brewery. So no. That's like a writer being paid not to read or write.

In a heartbeat. I enjoy the process of brewing/creating things to brew with a lot and drink a little. I would keep brewing for friends and family. Then brew some root beer and have fun enjoying the company of others while they enjoyed my brew.

Latest posts

Back