Football (Soccer) World Cup, South Africa 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosium

Reaction score
Totally off topic I know, but watching the SWC opening concert on BBC and it really brought a tear to my eye - how I wish I was back home to feel the vibe of the biggest sporting event in the world being held in my beautiful home country.

To think that I was born into a society that discriminated against people of different colours and cultures, one where white and black went to different schools, lived in different areas and where participating in an interracial relationship would mean being accused of immorality and would have lead to detention or worse.

One great man changed that all, and it makes me so proud to see how far we have come. I know the best is yet to come.

Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika
(God bless Africa)

I know the best is yet to come.

Yeah, especially when the US beats England on Saturday! :cross:

Just kidding - my mom lived in Cape Town for a few years, and I've been to visit multiple times. A truly fascinating and beautiful country. Congratulations to you. Amandla!

I can't find the openning ceremonies anywhere on tv.....pout.

VIVA Espana!!!!!!!

fernando-torres_1527728c.jpg

Oh my god Ive been waiting forever for this; its been such a long time coming...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...wait, what happened? Was someone talking about soccer?

I needed that nap, so thanks!

Watching Mexico-South Africa now. The sound on both the CBC and ESPN is strange. It must be loud as heck there in that amazing looking stadium. It's like a constant loud buzzing. Nothing distinctive, like yelling or horn blowing just this din.

But it's still cool! My favorite time of every four years.

Revvy...have you found it streaming anywhere online?

first game ended in a tie; yet another reason why soccer is unbearable.

Thank you!

I like to have sports on in the background while Im at my desk working. And, I guess I can sort of get into the world cup soccer thing because it is such a big deal and venues "buzz" which is pretty cool.

That buzzing is 90 thousand odd Africans blowing on what's know as a Vuvuzela - it's a plastic horn that sounds like a fog horn when you hit it with air from your diaphragm. It's absolutely deafening..

Shame about the draw, we was robbed!

That buzzing is 90 thousand odd Africans blowing on what's know as a Vuvuzela - it's a plastic horn that sounds like a fog horn when you hit it with air from your diaphragm. It's absolutely deafening..

Shame about the draw, we was robbed!

I was wondering if it was an instrument or not. That looks similar to the plastic horns we blow at hockey games, but we usually blow them as loud horns, not that buzzing. Pretty neat.

BUT you didn't lose and that's important. Nothing worse than the host country losing their first match on opening day. :mug:

Even in Lesotho, the streets are crazy. I'm stuck down in Mokhotlong camptown because of the snow and my neighbors here were going nuts for the Bafana Bafana. I'm headed to Joburg for Brazil v Ivory Coast followed up by Germany v Ghana. Hope to get later for a round 2 game in Bloem as well.

Even in Lesotho, the streets are crazy. I'm stuck down in Mokhotlong camptown because of the snow and my neighbors here were going nuts for the Bafana Bafana. I'm headed to Joburg for Brazil v Ivory Coast followed up by Germany v Ghana. Hope to get later for a round 2 game in Bloem as well.

Yo stranger!!!!!! We want pics!!!!

Hey Bosium, I was in Cape Town for three years in the early eighties. Without a doubt the most beautiful area I have ever lived in. Best of luck for the rest of the competition! I hope ZA do well, and almost win, but get beaten by England or USA in the semis! (The final, ideally would be Eng V. USA of course) ;)

"there are two things in this world that I absolutely can not stand. One is people who are intolerant of other cultures and the other is the Dutch!"

Hotties

I've just been visiting my regular home team football forum. It seems that if the locals in SA are as pissed off as the TV World Cup watchers in England, then a lot of people in Africa will we walking around with anally inserted horns.

Man! That constant drone is annoying!! :(

Hey Bosium, I was in Cape Town for three years in the early eighties. Without a doubt the most beautiful area I have ever lived in. Best of luck for the rest of the competition! I hope ZA do well, and almost win, but get beaten by England or USA in the semis! (The final, ideally would be Eng V. USA of course) ;)

Ya it's a stunning place, pity about the crime but I am optimistic. I miss it every day, can't wait to go home for good - the English weather is getting me down!

As long as they're not playing an African team, I'll be rooting for England. I'm a Tottenham Hotspur supporter and a lot of the players are England players. It's a shame they don't play better together as England has one of the best squads in the competition.

Personally my money's on Spain to win...

Really jealous, I wish I was back there to enjoy the vibe - it looked electric on TV!

Also how wonderful to live in Lesotho, what a stunningly beautiful place

We're in Stockholm now, and found a great little bar a short walk from where we're staying to watch the Uragauy v France match last night, was a very fun evening. Shared a table with a Swedish police officer and his spouse, who has lived in Germany, Switzerland, Spain and Sweden. We're going back to the same place tonight to see US v England. They're holding a table for us.

Had some interesting beers - Falcon Strong (Duvalesque), Tuborg Gold, Nils Erikson (I think).

Soccer's the only major sport I give a damn about - it's tremendous fun to watch. Watch for Bocanegra tonight to score on a set piece!!

I've just been visiting my regular home team football forum. It seems that if the locals in SA are as pissed off as the TV World Cup watchers in England, then a lot of people in Africa will we walking around with anally inserted horns.

Man! That constant drone is annoying!! :(

Hi LGI. The head of FIFA turned down calls to have the horns banned - he said that they are a part of South African football culture and if it offends Europeans aesthetics, too bad. Or words to that affect . . .

It's actually freeing to watch the matches where you don't understand the announcers language - I just tuned them out and enjoyed watching the game without commentary.

I was kind of really banking on them only allowing the vevuzelas (I think I teach about that part of the female anatomy at my HIV/AIDS workshops) at South Africa games. I might have to bring ear plugs

Oh my god, is that short chubby guy with the grey beard, in the iny shsuit, who looks like a sleazy Latin American drug czar, walking out with the Argentinian team really Diego Maradona? Oy vey, the great one really has let himself go.

Yes it is Maradonna, or that fat, cheating, hand-balling barsteward, who will only gain the Falkland Islands over my dead body.
Mind you, his second goal was brilliant.

OMG, what a great game! US draws with England 1-1! We watched it in a bar here inStockholm with a Swedish man and his Irish father-in-law, who inexplicably was rooting for England.

Drank some Eriksburg and Falcon (Swedish beers) and enjoyed taking a point from the English.

Wow, that Germany v. Australia game was ugly. I hope it was that Australia was really bad, not that Germany is so dominant - the US (if it makes out of its group) will likely have to play Germay. That was a real shellacking.

On a good note, though, we were in a pub in the Old Town section of Stockholm, surrounded by hordes of young, drunk German women, cheering on their team. We sat next to and chatted with a couple of them - they are in Sweden working, one had been here two years and the other 8 months. They all looked really young, like my son's age or only a year or two older, no more than 21.

We drank Biska cider mainly.

Watched the first half of the US/Germany game and MAN WAS THAT SOUND ANNOYING!

And Germany looked in total control. Thought about watching some more, but we decided to watch Willy Wonka instead. The old one, not the crappy new one.

Hey Bosum, the vibe here is unreal, everyone is going crazy.
I went to a "fan park" on Friday to watch SA vs Mexico. It was cool. We did well to draw 1-1 considering SA is ranked 83rd and Mexico 17th. Hopefully we play well on Wednesday.
As for the vuvuzela - you can hear them all the time now regardless of whether there is a game on or not. Like some sort of weird bird call :D
A local conductor is composing a "symphony" using the vuvu.

Hi bru (hah, that was weird)

Well, the way I look at it is this: We do not deserve to be ranked 83rd. I watch a lot of football and I was shocked at how well SA played against Mexico. The first half was a bit nervy (opening game, 90K+ vuvu's and the pressure of hosting), and I think we were wrong to let our guard down in the second half with the likes of Vela running around, but I didn't see anything from mexico to compare with the quality of that pass to, and the goal from Tshabalala. What an absolute cracker! Might well be the goal of the tournament.

Also Mphela's near miss when he hit the post had me almost in tears, it should have been 2-1 to us. I must admit that I expected a bit more from Pienaar though if you take into account what an excellent season he's had at Everton.

Khune was great in goal too. Still, the other teams in our group also drew so it's still on like Donkey Kong! Bring on Uruguay next...

Ja hopefully Steven Pienaar plays better next game. Hes one of the best players on the team. Maybe he just needs to settle a bit. I agree - thank goodness for Khune - he played really well, made some awesome saves.
I reckon we can beat France if we don't fall apart. Uraguay as well.
You should get out here man - Ive never seen SA going crazy like this. Almost every car has a flag attached to it.

I tried to watch, I really did but I ended up taking two naps this weekend and I almost never take naps. I wonder if Americans can even fathom how much of a goat that goalie for England is? AFAIK, take a Bill Buckner and multiply it by a Scott Norwood, then raise it to the tenth power...and you're getting warm.

The opening concert rekindled my crush on Alicia Keys, that woman has the prettiest face evar.

Latest posts

Back