Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Bill pending HR 875 called Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009.

Tried to read some of it, it is so vague, it could mean anything, even to some of us hop growers, who the heck knows.

Something smells fishy, here, sponsor shares her bed with a Monsanto employee, how curious..!? Not saying this is wrong, but...

I think this is the act they're trying to pass that creates a new government agency to replace the current FDA, FSIS (a part of the USDA) and CDC. I hate like hell when the government tries to "improve" things because they: fail to make any improvement in efficiency or efficacy, but also make things more bloated and complicated, with more government positions than before.

If there's something we definitely need right now, it's more gov't regulation.

(sarcasm, folks)

Do a google/news on this thing.

Does not sound good. It would give the Federal government power to regulate almost every piece of food you eat. Potentially, destroying the organic food movement. It would allow an appointed bureaucrat to determine the "minimum" standards for fertilizer and pesticides. So if you didn't want to use any pesticides, you would essentially be breaking the law.

I'm not an organic food fanboy, but I like to at least like to CHOOSE to eat my genetically modified, pesticide laden fruits and vegetables.

This DOES have the potential to ruin local farmer's markets and even encroach on your home victory gardens. I'd encourage you to google this and then write your representatives.

GoogleSearchResults

I'm all for small government, etc. However, I also worked 5 years in regulatory food safety. I can tell you that the food safety regulatory system in this country is convoluted and fragmented. I didn't read the whole thing, but I breezed through it as I'm familiar with most of the terminology and intent. I don't think this stems from the tree huggers and environmentalist militants. Most of it seemed like a long overdue change to the food safety system in this country.

Take the state of Pennsylvania for example. There are numerous agencies involved with food safety for any given County or municipality. You've got the FDA, USDA, PA Dept. of Health, PA Dept. of Agriculture, county and/or local Health Departments, and there's probably one or two other entities I'm missing. All of these entities have there own jurisdictions, regulations, and inspection procedures (or lack thereof).

It's about time we consolidated food safety to a primary entity. The jist I took from this bill is that it is primarily concerned with standard food safety practices that have been in effect for a long time. I don't think it's a conspiracy. This kind of bill could actually result in smaller government, not bigger.

I'm all for small government, etc. However, I also worked 5 years in regulatory food safety. I can tell you that the food safety regulatory system in this country is convoluted and fragmented. I didn't read the whole thing, but I breezed through it as I'm familiar with most of the terminology and intent. I don't think this stems from the tree huggers and environmentalist militants. Most of it seemed like a long overdue change to the food safety system in this country.

Take the state of Pennsylvania for example. There are numerous agencies involved with food safety for any given County or municipality. You've got the FDA, USDA, PA Dept. of Health, PA Dept. of Agriculture, county and/or local Health Departments, and there's probably one or two other entities I'm missing. All of these entities have there own jurisdictions, regulations, and inspection procedures (or lack thereof).

It's about time we consolidated food safety to a primary entity. The jist I took from this bill is that it is primarily concerned with standard food safety practices that have been in effect for a long time. I don't think it's a conspiracy. This kind of bill could actually result in smaller government, not bigger.

I agree that it's not such a bad idea in theory, but I lack any confidence that the government will actually implement it efficiently or in a way that reduces the size of government. Efficiency and reductions are not really what our government excels at.

I agree that it's not such a bad idea in theory, but I lack any confidence that the government will actually implement it efficiently or in a way that reduces the size of government. Efficiency and reductions are not really what our government excels at.

You are defininitely justified in that!:)

Here's an example of why this could be a good idea (in theory!;)):

There was a petting zoo in Pennsylvania that had an ice cream stand. Less than a decade ago, 45 people PLUS 16 children became infected with E. coli after visiting this farm/petting zoo/ice cream place. One of the children either died or had to have a kidney transplant (can't remember). The cause was determined to be the petting of infected calves followed by the eating of ice cream with no handwashing in between.

Since it did not technically have sit-down dining, the local health department (jurisdiction over the ice cream stand) did not require restrooms and therefore handwashing facilities. The PA dept. of Agriculture, which regulated the farm, didn't require handwashing facilities either because it was a working farm.

When the outbreak occured, the CDC got involved and blame started being pushed back and forth between the various entities. The Dept. of Ag. should have done more thorough inspections to prevent the source of E. coli. The Health Dept. should have required handwashing facilities (even though it wasn't in the health code). The CDC should have had a standard for petting zoos. Blah-blah-blah. Because of the media outcry, local politicians became involved and it ultimately led to the unjust firing of the Health Commissioner. There were also numerous law suits and the farm was financially ruined.

There are frequent food-borne illness outbreaks that occur in this country that could be significantly reduced by consolidated food safety regulation.

But, I hear you... when it comes to government, there is a big difference between what's on a Bill and how it actually gets done.

Back