fomentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexc

Reaction score
Hi,
Just like to know if the fomentation does not reach 10.10 on the hydrometer what can that mean?
The air lock has stopped bubbling for a couple of days now.

Woah there! Slow down =) let me get this straight, you brewed a beer that had an original gravity of 1.0xx. Now the brew is 1.010 right? If it's gotten that low, you're more than likely fine/done with fermentation...

Just because the airlock stopped bubbling doesn't mean fermentation is done. The only way to tell is if you take a hydrometer sample, measure the reading, then take another hydrometer sample a day or two later. If the samples are reading the same gravity, fermentation us done.

You can leave the beer alone for a but longer so the yeast can clean up after themselves than give you a clear beer.

Steady readings in the teens over the course of 3 days is pretty indicative that primary fermentation is done. You can proceed forward or let it condition for a few weeks.

Let it condition if you can stand the wait. It gets way better with a little time.

Hi shiny sorry but I'm new at this so I don't know what your talking about, isn't the hydrometer reading meant to read 10.10 when it is ready?
Kaconga & jdflow what do you mean by condition

The hydrometer reading is going to differ from every single beer you make. It's not always the same. You can tell when your beer is good to be bottled/kegged when you get consistent hydro readings over the course of several days. So, if you check your hydro tomorrow and it's still 1.010, and then again the next day, you can assume that fermentation is complete.

Woah, didn't know you could foment a beer; careful you don't get a blackeye or lose a tooth, I hear some beers fight dirty

What beer did you make? What was your original gravity (OG) reading? A kit may say the final gravity (FG) is 1.010, but there are many factors that can make that FG higher or lower a few points. How long have you had it in the primary fermenter?

That makes sense sea and it is giving the same reading so thanks for that

alexc said:
Hi shiny sorry but I'm new at this so I don't know what your talking about, isn't the hydrometer reading meant to read 10.10 when it is ready?
Kaconga & jdflow what do you mean by condition

Conditioning is the final phase of fermentation. The yeast eat any byproducts they can and the flavors begin to come together. This can occur in your primary fermentor or in the bottle/keg. Either will be ok but letting it sit in primary for a few weeks seems to provide more consistency from bottle to bottle in my experience. However I have gone straight to bottle when I needed to open up my primary for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back