FOAM, help me figure this out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersub

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here but have a dilemma.

I've got a marvel kegerator, probably pumped 10 kegs through it, NEVER had a problem of any sort, I'd like to think I'm a clever guy (usually, read below), keep the co2 pressures OK, lines are always cleaned etc etc.

Recently picked up a new keg and I've got to admit, I screwed up bad... I waited a couple of days between running out the old keg and cleaning the lines, then on top of that I hooked up the new keg and forgot to open the co2 valve, pours reduced to zero flow, then I figured it out. Ever since then the pours have been super slow for 10-15 pints and I guessed that I'd pretty much decarbonated the keg even though the beers I poured seemed OK, so I upped the pressure for a couple of days to try and bring the flow rates back up, no change.

Today I decided to investigate further and pulled everything apart to re-clean the lines and check all the fittings, the only thing out of note (to me) was that the ball check valve inside the keg coupler was stuck pretty firmly up against the bottom of the coupler, but I'm not sure if this is abnormal.

After I hooked everything back up the flow rate was hugely improved but it was 100% foam!

I've then systematically switched all the hose washers, checked and re-checked pressures, checked for leaks etc etc. cleaned and re-cleaned everything and cannot for the life of me figure out whats up, I've never had anything like an issue this big before.

Obviously I've made a lot of adjustments in a short period of time, after some research online the only other mechanical abnormality I an find is that between the end of my gas line running in to the keg coupler and the coupler itself a lot of people are discussing a check valve, or a one way valve, I don't have one, nor do I ever recall seeing one in my system, but I'm not sure if this is important info or not..

Have I just overcarbonated since the depressurization? Do I have a leak somewhere? I know my keg temp is good, my line length is good because they've been working perfectly for almost 2 years.

HELP!

Latest posts

Back