Foam City when using Last Straw to bottle Hefeweizen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datsvibe

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated..

I have used the Last Straw filler on a few occasions with no issues whatsoever, however I am encountering a bottle full of foam when try to fill this Hefeweizen batch..

I started with the keg at 40 degrees and bottles unchilled- resulted in entire bottle full of foam.

Put bottles and keg in fridge overnight at 33 degrees, tried again in morning- same issue. Dang, can’t figure out what the issue is..

Tried setting the pressure at 12.. 8 .. 4 .. 2 .. no luck!

My guess is the C02 volume. It’s around 3.0, higher than previous batches. Is it impossible to use a counter-pressure filler at that volume? I’m at a loss (of beer).

It fills fine with a picnic tap into a glass. Nice head that lasts til the last drop... Perhaps it’s slightly over-carbed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

How long is your line? I use 10' 3/16" ID at 2-4psi.

My line was only 6’ so that could have contributed to the issue..

After some trial and error I came to the realization that I was overcarbed a decent amount which likely led to the foam issue.

I used a Blichmann QuickCarb to carb it and the beer was warmer than I wanted it when the process finished.So I set it it in fridge with co2 set for that higher temp range.

Long story short- I agitated and released the pressure a few times to lower the co2 volume and boom- no more foam.

Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back