Flying Dog Easy IPA Clone Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrdepew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new brewer, have done 3 batches of beer and 2 batches of hard cider so far. Have mostly been doing belgian wheat beers, as that is what I tend to drink. Ommegange Witte is a favorite, along with Rare Vos. I have never been an IPA fan, most are too bitter and I generally stay away from high ABV as I like to drink a couple and still be able to function :mug:. Looking for something different at the local Wegman's I made up a mixer-sixer and decided to try "Easy IPA" from Flying Dog. Long story short, I am LOVING this beer. I plan on trying some more "session" IPAs that are a little less bitter and lower ABV.

Starting to plan the next string of brew days as I have a lot more free time in the fall/winter, I started searching on clones for this brew, and came up empty handed.

Anyone tried this and able to give some insight? The Flying Dog site gives some clues:

"Aromas of grapefruit and subtle spice meld into lemon and pine hop notes balanced with crisp cracker malt. Pair this with tailgates, mowing the lawn, and anything else that calls for a light, yet flavorful, beer."

ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 50
Specialty Malts: Biscuit

I may play around with the BeerSmith trial I have as well to see what I can come up with.

While I am on the subject...anyone have any suggestions for "session" style IPA's that I should try?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am doing BIAB

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Played around with Beer Smith some...I think I will be purchasing this software. It makes it very easy to play around with a recipe...

Anyway, please critique and let me know what you think. This is very new territory for me and I did a lot of searching and took a lot of ideas from posts on this site and others.

Grain:
9lbs American Rahr 2 Row Malt
0.5lbs Biscuit Malt

Hops:
1oz Chinook 30 mins
1oz Cascade 15 mins
1oz Willamette 5 mins
1oz Cascade Dry Hop 2 Days

Yeast:
US-05

Efficiency = 65% (Still working on my BIAB technique and crush, efficiency numbers still a little low)
ABV = 4.9%
IBU = 49.3

This will be a 30 minute BIAB mash with 30 minute boil, 5 gallon batch.

Questions/Thoughts:
-I have never dry-hopped before and will do some searching on the amount and the best ways to do it. One ounce of cascade seems safe, but I do see 2oz a lot. Thoughts?
-Never used Chinook before...Very high AA and really ups the IBU value.
-Should I use 0.5lb of crystal in addition to the Biscuit malt? Or do you think the crystal will not play nice with the biscuit...again, I am in uncharted territory here.

Recipe seems pretty basic, which I like. Let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Just had two pints of Founder's All Day IPA for lunch...another great "session" IPA :rockin:

Joe

Back