Flat Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toast67

Reaction score
I went to tap my self carbonated keg of American Amber today, just to find that the deal was leaking ... So the beer was flat! Can I save this batch by shooting co2 into the keg with a keg charger? And how can I make sure this doesn't happen again?

I went to tap my self carbonated keg of American Amber today, just to find that the deal was leaking ... So the beer was flat! Can I save this batch by shooting co2 into the keg with a keg charger? And how can I make sure this doesn't happen again?

You can certainly save the batch. However, if a "Keg Charger" is a 12g CO2 cartridge I doubt it has enough volume to carb a 5 gallon keg. You'll need to force carb it from a real bottle.

Next time check the integrity of your keg before you fill it. Charge it empty and leave it for 24hrs, then check it. Even then if you're naturally carbing your keg over several weeks (nothing I've ever bothered with) I'd check it weekly to make sure it's holding (tap the purge every 7~10 days).

All is not lost, good luck.

Keyth

Thanks ... You think I should try and reseat the keg seal?

If you have a way to charge\purge the air in the deadspace of the keg, then trying to reseat the lid seal is no problem (though your leak might be comming from the gas post\poppet). You'll introduce air when you reseat the seal which will oxidize your beer if left in the keg's deadspace. With the above given, just reseat the seal, then charge the keg and purge it a couple of times over half an hour (CO2 is heavyer than air and will settle over the surface of the beer inside the keg given an little time).

Keyth

Okay, got a co2 system. The keg stayed refrigerated. I reseated the seal, and got co2 in, and the pressure is holding for a day now. About how long until it might be good, you think?

It all depends on volume, pressure, and time. Do a search for force carbing, there are two basic ways to do it, fast and furious or low and slow. The basics of fast and furious is to charge a 5 gallon Cornelius keg at 30psi for 24~30 hours, then lower the regulator to serving pressure and relieve the keg down to that pressure. it might be slightly under\over carbed at first (read flat or foamy) if you don't hit it right. The low and slow method is the set it and forget it method, set it at serving pressure and leave it alone for a couple of weeks. Both work, it all depends on you.

Keyth

Latest posts

Back