Fist attempt at Cooper's European Lager...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewew

Reaction score
Did a first attempt at making a lager today.
Had everything go the way it should except i forgot to take the OG reading..

Brewed 23L (6 US gallons) with 1 kilo Cooper's Brew Enhancer # 2
Any way to have this gravity estimated, since these are pretty standard ingredients and sort of "off the user manual"?

Also, on temperature.. i pitched the yeast (lager, from kit) at about 22 celcius, and immediately put it in the bedroom, which holds a pretty stable 15C at this time of season here in Norway...

Any clues as to how this brew will turn out?

Figuring I may have been a little impatient with this and should have read up on more info on lager brewing prior to trying... any input would be greatly valued. :)

PS. On the contray, I'm enjoying my very first attempt on a White wine right now - it's still a little young, but absolutely loving it !

Cheers to fellow brewers ! :tank:

The only fermentables you used where one package of Coopers Brew Enhancer? Most coopers kits use 1Kg of brew enhancer and a further 1.7Kg can of DME.

Used the 1,7kg. hopped malt extract (European Lager) + 1kg. of the Brew Enhancer 2
Nothing more.. wouldn't adding a further 1,7kg. of DME drasticly raise the ABV % when aiming for the 4,7% ballpark?

OK Cooper's Brew Enhancer #2 is 50% dry light malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin
1kg of that mixture into 6 gallons gives an approx OG of 1.016
further estimates alchohol at 1.56%

OK never mind I just got your post

Used the 1,7kg. hopped malt extract (European Lager) + 1kg. of the Brew Enhancer 2
Nothing more.. wouldn't adding a further 1,7kg. of DME drastically raise the ABV % when aiming for the 4,7% ballpark?

Well you never mentioned the 1.7kg of hopped malt extract ;) With the extra can of malt extract:
approx OG: 1.044
guestimated AbV: 4.21%

Really? Sorry, this is the first time i try the Enhancer...

OK. It's in the bucket right now and I have more DME at hand.

2 x 500gram bags of Muntons Extra light spray malt
another 2 x Brew Enhancer 2
1 kg. dextrose
Unlimited ammounts of corn sugar

In your concideration, what would be the best pick in order to reach about 4-5 ABV?

The 1.7kg can is LME and fermentable. Your OG should be about 1.042. My first kit was the Cooper's English Bitter and I followed the same steps without a problem. My recomendation is to leave it in primary for 3 weeks instead of the 7 days the kit recommends - it will help.

don't add anything else. you have all the fermentables you need with the can and the BE2 pack. You should be about 4% or so with it the way it is.

Ok, thanks guys ! My heart stopped there for a sec.... hahaha ! :)
Late to this post, but the Coopers directions concur, and call for the tin contents and the BE2. Nothing else.

Back