First timer to Home Brew - Apple Cider Q's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdelIowaHofbrew

Reaction score
I made up my first batch of cider using 5 gal 100% pure cider and 2 gal of brown sugar and cider yeast. It was started on 8-11-16 and as of today 8-31-16 it appears to be done fermenting (no bubbles appearing)

A few questions for the experienced experts!
1. Should I siphon to a secondary fermentation chamber and let it sit or bottle now?
2. Do I need to add priming sugar if I bottle now? My understanding is that adding the priming sugar will carbonate the batch?

If this is not the best approach, i'd appreciate some guidance to make this a good batch!

Regards
AdelIowaHofbrew

Did you take a hydrometer reading at the beginning? If not, get a hydrometer and take a reading. If it is stable for several days the juice is done fermenting. Only then can you safely bottle.

As far as racking to secondary goes, I do it as a means to clear out as much yeast as possible but it will not really have an adverse affect on the taste. My handling skills were not as good my first time around and I ended up with a fair amount of yeast settled out in the bottoms of the bottles but the cider has a nice taste. I just have to leave some in the bottle when pouring into a glass.

Good luck.

Yes, siphon to secondary, letting your cider "age" bring out more flavor. You will only add priming sugar during bottling if you want your finished product to be carbonated.

Back