First time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awastatyme

Reaction score
Well today I made my first batch of mead. I forgot that I ended up buying 4# of honey and poured it all in a 1 gal. batch. The starting gravity before I pitched was 1.131 @ 74* so the corrected gravity is 1.132??? I used a 1/3 pack of D47 yeast and added some raisins.

What do yall think the outcome of this batch will end up?

My guess is that you'll end up with a sweet mead, 4# is a lot of honey up front....it may have trouble fermenting properly, especially beings as raisins are your only nutrient. In the future, if you want to go "big," consider stepfeeding your mead. Start out with less honey than your intended total, and make additions as fermentation progresses - too much sugar in solution is not real good for the yeast.......browse/search around here and elsewhere on the www, plenty of info on stepfeeding

I did just under 4lbs my first batch. Fermentation last a ling time. I added some biuled bread yeast. And clearing took forever. Be patient. Its good. Id dumb rest of d47 in.

Mine ended 15% sweet but good. And crystal clear after finings.

The good news is that D-47 is aggressive. However, the lack of DAP (nutrient) is going to make for a looong fermentation unless you add some very soon. In the future, don't be afraid to just use the whole yeast pack, even for 1gal. batches.

This early in the process you might even consider removing a portion of the must (put in in another container), then make a starter with the rest of the d-47 and adding it in place of the removed portion.
At this high gravity, even if it ferments well it will likely need considerable time for aging d-47 has a tolerance of 14% but could go higher (15-16%)
And as fuelish and JJack noted you might need to add some nutrients...consider boiling some bread yeast (as rcreamer mentioned)) and adding that if you don't have access to nutrients.

Could I still add nutrients to the must?
I didnt plan on using 4# of honey. They were in 2# jars and I just forgot to only use halve of one jar.

Some of the best meads follow a SNA (staggered nutrient addition) protocol, where you add fractions of the total required nutrients over a few day period. Up to 1/3 sugar break (some say to the 1/2 sugar break)
Do some research on SNA, 1/3 sugar break (sugar depletion), and Lag phase.
Also you need to be aerating at least daily through that 1/3 break.

Ok, I just ordered some yeast nutrient off Amazon. Says it should be here tomorrow. I will look up on how much to add.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make a starter with the rest of the d-47 as suggested. I had a mead started about the same gravity as yours stall so I've had to do a starter and resurrect it. I actually had a whole packet of d47 in mine though vs the 1/3. It will take a while to clear and is going to end on the sweeter side.

The DAP came in today. But I can not figure out how to find the 1/3 break gravity. It started off at 1.132. Should I add some DAP now to kick start it and then again at the 1/3 break. Can someone explain to me how to figure out this sugar break stuff.

I am getting a big bubble every minute. Should I go ahead and take at gravity reading?

EDIT:
Would my break be at 1.040??

No gravity reading – too early. Just add a teaspoon and gently stir it in the bucket by jostling it.

Back