First time recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUNTx2

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at formulating my own recipe. I ran it through a free program I found on the internet and used those numbers as a guide. When I brewed today the numbers didn't quite gel. Anybody got some fancy software that can quickly run the numbers or tell me were I went went wrong, if I did? I am not totally hung up on the numbers being spot on, I just want beer that tastes good and be able to create my own recipes for it. Like I said if it tastes good I'm happy, but would appreciate any advice that somone with a little more experience might have.

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes at 170 in 1 1/2 gallons. Added another gallon and the LME to bring the total boil volume to 3 gallons. And boiled for 60 minutes.
These are the numbers from the freeware.

OG: 1.065 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 7.1% v/v (5.5% w/w)
Grain: 1.25 lb. American 6-row
.5 lb. American crystal 90L
.25 lb. American crystal 120L
..25 lb. Roasted barley
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.108 3 gallons
4 lb. Amber malt extract
4 lb. Light malt extract
Hops: 2 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Mt. Hood (4.5% AA, 30 min.)

My readings were 1.137 for the gravity of the boil, and 1.054 for the OG once I added about 3 gallons of top off water. It's suppposed to be an Irish red. Any help or coments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

First thing i see is that you want to steep your grains at ~150ish, if you go up too high you risk extracting tanins from the grain husks. Also you will get a little better steeping efficiency from them. that may be why your OG came in a little low. The software is going to take into acount the grains that you used and add a few points for that. Also if your volumes are off that may acount for some of the numbers being skewed from what the software says.

The recipe its self looks good, it may come out a bit on the dark side but if you follow the late extract additions (add extract the last 15 min of the boil) that could help keep some of the carmelization down. Mt Hood hops may be slightly out of line with traditional irish reds but i am sure that it will come out well being that it is not being used for the aroma.

Also if you don't get all the extract out of the container (either dry or liquid) that can throw off the numbers. I would usually take a ladle and scoop some of the wort back into the container and swirl it around for LME to get it all out. and for DME, try transfering it into a bowl from the bag before you add it, helps with the steam making it stick to the bag, then you can rinse the bowl with wort to get it all in there.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for the reply. This thread got buried and I had actually forgotten about it until I tried the "My Topics" Link.

I will absolutely try steeping at a little lower temp next time out. I think my OG was off from adding to much top off water as my reading on the boil was actually higher than expected. Software predicted 1.108 and I got 1.137.

I absolutely see what you said about the color, it has a slight red hue, but is darker than I expected. I will have to do some more reading on late additions.

I used Mt. Hood cause I had them. Any suggestion on a more traditional choice for the next atempt at this recipe?

I like the suggestion on adding liquid back to the extract container too. It does seem like I never get quite all of it. Sort of like a toothpaste tube, no matter how hard you try you always waste a little. I'll try the ladle and swirl method on my next batch.

I should be bottling next week, I'll try to remember to update you on how the finished product turned out in a month or so.

Thanks again for the feedback, sorry it took me so long to find it.

Back