First time kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopToIt

Reaction score
My very first brew, an Extra Special Bitter, is about a week and a half into fermentation and everything has gone exactly according to the recipe so far (thanks to tons of help from CarboyBoy). I have my kegging equipment all ready to go. Once the beer is in the keg in the fridge and carbed, how long before the first glass?

I let mine sit for about 3-4 days at least with a decent amount of pressure (15-20lbs).

I have been doing 48 hours @ 20psi and turn it down to 12 psi ( I don't purge) for another 3-4 days. Comes out pretty spot on for me.

I usually do the set and forget method of setting it at 11psi and waiting a week. Though I have 3 other kegs to drink off of. Depends on your patience level.

I typically set it on about 25 PSI for about 36 hours then drop down to the proper serving/carbing pressure (i.e., 10-15 PSI). By 48 hours it's usually pretty close to fully carbed.

i usually do the set and forget method at the suggested pressure for whatever style is kegged.

Thanks to everyone on here who is supporting the new guys. Brewing has started out as such a fun experience and all the input on this question has really solidified in my mind that this is a hobby I'm going to really love. My appreciation and thanks for the help!

Quick follow on question by another noob. Once the beers at the right carb level, do you keep the valve on? I usually don't drink on weeknights. So come Sunday evening do I keep the pressure flowing throughout the week or turn off?
Thanks for any insight!

The previous posters have way more patience then me:
1. fill the keg as cleanly as possible (don't worry about the last 1/4 pint if it mean sucking crap into the keg)
2. seal it up and crank the regulator to 60psi (if you are using one of the new chinese kegs this might not be a good idea)
3. rock the keg back and forth for a few minutes and listen to the bubbles get absorbed
4. turn the regulator to a reasonable serving pressure (~10psi) and release the excess pressure from the keg
5. attach the serving line (if you had this attached at 60psi you will spray beer everywhere)
6. pour a pint and enjoy!

If the beer was warm it won't have absorbed anywhere close to the right amount of co2 so now put it in the fridge and follow the advice from any of the previous posts. I just can't wait a week without trying it:) ...but you should try it often. The best part of kegging is you can pour a few oz and see how its progressing.

I leave my co2 on all the time now. I lost a few tanks due to leaks....buttoned those up and now I have a fully sealed system. 100% on, carbed, and ready to drink at the pull of the handle!

Quick follow on question by another noob. Once the beers at the right carb level, do you keep the valve on? I usually don't drink on weeknights. So come Sunday evening do I keep the pressure flowing throughout the week or turn off?
Thanks for any insight!

Yes, turn the CO2 down to serving pressure, ~8-12psi depending on your system and style, and leave it on until the keg kicks.

My very first brew, an Extra Special Bitter, is about a week and a half into fermentation and everything has gone exactly according to the recipe so far (thanks to tons of help from CarboyBoy). I have my kegging equipment all ready to go. Once the beer is in the keg in the fridge and carbed, how long before the first glass?

Maybe I'm the only one reading this post wrong, but the answer to your question, is that you can pour your first pint right away. If you're asking how long til it's carbed (or how to carb) the above posts give you plenty of advice.

My best results always come from set and forget. You CAN overcarb your beer by force carbing it with the high PSI people here are mentioning, and once you've overcarbed a keg of beer, getting it back into balance can be challenging.

Back