First time kegging - lots of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millarkey

Reaction score
I was recently given an entire kegging system complete with CO2 tank and I'm itching to try it out. Before I did (out of fear or ruining my IIPA) I thought I'd ask a few questions as I've always gotten good advice here.

1. How long will my brew keep once kegged?

2. I don't have a fridge to store it in for carbonation, any suggestions on pressure? I'll be leaving it around 65 degrees. I've read the charts which say 18psi but then I've watched videos of guys saying 30psi in the fridge.

3. Once carbonated...
a. can I leave it at room temp (65)
b. can I chill it in a freezer before drinking then put it back to room temp and repeat? I've heard this before but it doesn't seem right?

Anything else I should know or words of wisdom?

You will have hard time dispensing your beer from keg at 65F, unless your beer line like 20 feet or more at 3/8" internal diameter. From what I learned, as soon as u start kegging u pretty mach obligated to temp controlled keezer.Save some cash and start browsing CF for cheap or free fridge/freezer and temperature controller. Good luck!

Sent from GT-I9100M

1. That depends on how quickly you drink it. :) Kegged beer should last as long as bottled beer.
2. You can carbonate at 65F, but you will need more pressure than if you carbonated at a lower temperature. You can also carbonate with priming sugar, just the same as when bottling; although this will take longer to carbonate. If you really need to force carbonate, the pressure needed depends on the temperature and the volumes of CO2 required. In my case (brewing English Bitters and storing at basement temperatures) I don't need any pressure to achieve 1 volume of CO2.
3a. Yes, but you would have to drink the beer at that temperature.
3b. I wouldn't try that. Continually varying the storage temperature causes the beer to age much faster.

-a.

I take the keg and put it in a big cooler over night with 2 bags of ice. Then the next day I force carbonate at 30psi for 30 seconds, rest, then repeat.

I then let the pressure off and charge to 5psi. Done.

Buy a used fridge , I got a nice kenmore for 100 bucks. Its not worth kegging at room temp... It takes a hell of a lot of co2

Sounds like a new fridge is in my future.

New question.

My wife is going to give me space in the main fridge but I can't fit the CO2 tank too. Can I chill the brew, force carbonate, drop pressure to serving pressure and just put keg in fridge? Obviously I'd have to hook up the tank when I want to drink but would this get me by until I get a beer fridge?

Sounds like a new fridge is in my future. New question. My wife is going to give me space in the main fridge but I can't fit the CO2 tank too. Can I chill the brew, force carbonate, drop pressure to serving pressure and just put keg in fridge? Obviously I'd have to hook up the tank when I want to drink but would this get me by until I get a beer fridge?

You can keg at room temp without using a ton if CO2. About half cup of corn sugar will cut it.

Without a fridge you will be buying a lot of ice to use your system. I am using a free one from Craigslist. It did take a lot of cleaning to make it usable

I did like Dave and just looked over craigslist. I ended up finding a free fridge after a few days of looking. It needed an extensive cleaning but ended up working great. I just put it in my backyard under the patio.

Thanks for the input everyone. Last few questions, I really appreciate the help. Once I get it carbonated can I store in the fridge with the CO2 disconnected and just reconnect every time I want to drink? if I don't want to drink it now or just want to store it can I just bleed the air out, top with CO2 and let it sit at room temp?

Why has nobody suggested a jockey box? You can leave the keg at room temp and then just add some ice (to the jockey box cooler) when you want to serve up some beers.
:mug:

you can allways get a cartridge co2 connect for dispensing thats what i do when i bring the keg to a friends house i imagine you can do the same if you dont have room or dont want to drill through you fridge

Back