first time kegging help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoneywilks

Reaction score
I kegged my first ipa last night and process went fine but my co2 tank dropped 150 lbs overnight. Im sure this can't be good. I did a leak check but bubbles anywhere. Wondering if anyone had some other ideas of why this happened. Im sure its a leak but can't find it.

Did you move the tank from room temp to the fridge? Lowering the temp will significantly drop the pressure in the tank.

Yea I brought it from room temperature to fridge temp and figured the molecules would compress but didn't think that much. I will keep an eye on it to look for change. It should be stable by now. Thanks man. Just got the rookie nerves.

That's interesting. If Novaraz' diagnosis doesn't pan out, I would suggest tightening all connections, which I am sure you already did, and retesting for leaks at ALL connections. Also, check that beer is not leaking out at the outlet port. I've had this happen before. Let us know if figure out what it was causing the leak.

I'd recheck all your connections anyway. It is almost certainly the cold drop, as a leak won't really register on your gauge until you basically empty the tank. (at least in my experience) However, it never hurts to be cautious.

I had the same freak-out when I first stuck my 5lb tank in the fridge. But it's a simple calculation-
5 lb of CO2 = 52 moles, Volume ~ 0.2 ft3, Temp1 = 75F, temp2 = 37F. If we use van der Waals gas for CO2's equation of state,
P1 = 950 PSI, P2 = 565 PSI.
Nothing to worry about!

Back