First time brewing mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy_t

Reaction score
So I stumbled on this forum the other day whilst looking into brewing my own mead and after trawling around I decided upon Joes Ancient Orange Mead recipe as it is said to be the best place for a beginner. Got everything together and started to brew, fermentation started up good and have been bubbling away like mad for about 4 days now. I then noticed it is meant to be done in the dark, and as I have no where that is dark, I covered it to keep it dark. The only problem is, when it is covered it reaches about 90-95 degrees F during the day. I have been reading around and it is recommended to keep it between 65-75 degrees F.

So my question is, will it be okay to brew in the light, and should I ditch the cover, or keep the cover and will it brew alight at that high temperature?

Thanks,

James.

Light is bad but temp is worse, how big is your batch? R u covering it with a sleeping bag or something? That seems to be a big difference.

I am doing 2 gallons but doing it in two containers, both 1 gallon carboys. I wrapped them up in a sheet to block out the light. So look for something thinner and less insulating but still blocks the light?

I haven't done mead but want to try it this year. I usually cover my carboys with a grocery paper bag and that doesn't seem to affect my temps too greatly.

Latest posts

Back