first time brewing and secondary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewjscott

Reaction score
I have finished my first brew day and the airlock is bubbling away. I am contemplating moving the beer into a secondary fermenter when the time is right. Mistake or not?

Not a mistake at all! Most kits recommend switching to a secondary, just depends on the style of beer when you switch. Most are one to two weeks then switch and another two weeks or more in secondary.

Not a mistake if you have a reason to move it. Moving will increase slightly the chance of infection. I'm lazy so only secondary my lagers. BTW you posted in announcements and feedback so responses to your post will likely be low.

If your airlock is bubbling, then fermentation is still happening. That's not the time to move it. You really should wait til fermentation is complete before moving. I recommend that if folks do choose to secondary that they wait til day 10 to take their first reading, and take another 2 days later, if the numbers match and if it's near the gravity your recipe says it should be at, then rach it.

But, a lot of folks choose not to use secondaries for most situations, instead opting for a long primary instead.

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

And make a decision as to what to do. (I suggest you explore and try both means and see which makes your beers clearer and better tasting.)

But don't move your beer to secondary if you choose to too soon. Let it finish and the yeast clean up after themselves.

Yes definitely wait until your beer is done fermenting. Great point. I forgot to say that. I took the question as if you need to move to a secondary, not to move it now.

My question was about if I should not when, but I really appreciate the advice on when. Where should I post questions like this in the future?

I just read that excerpt and it was very informative. Thank you. I think I am going to keep it all in the primary fermenter this time.

Yeah the choice is yours. I would say it is preference over anything. Let me know how it works out. I'm pretty new to the forum so I'm not sure on where to post stuff like this. I'm working on figuring out the recipe for Aruba Red. It's a beer from the restaurant Bahama Breeze.

I've not brewed many batches, but I've tried both methods. If you do primary only, give Irish moss a try during the last 15 minutes of boil. I've started using it and I really think it makes a difference. It's definitely a personal preference but for most kits I just go 3-4 weeks in primary and package. My last batch turned out crystal clear with primary only and Irish moss.

Back