First time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly460

Reaction score
Great site here. I just received a brew kit and a Blonde Ale kit for XMas. I brewed it last night with minimal trouble, except a boilover after I added the malt extract.

I took the initial specific gravity measure at 1.052, there were no references to a target SG in the instructions, so just wondering if this seems in the ballpark?

Also, when I cooled the wort, I didn't take any temp measurement, I just tossed in the yeast when the 20# of ice had melted down and the pot was cool to the touch. I assume this is OK, and you're just looking to bring temps down to a level where yeast can survive?

Lastly, how exactly do you take your samples from the primary? Seems that opening the lid would introduce air (obvious enough), so what do you do to extract the beer for testing?

My batch seems to be fermenting nicely, I don't have a secondary so I'm planning to leave in the primary for three weeks (checking SG as I go), then bottle for three weeks. The goal is to have a decent, drinkable beer for a Feb21 party. I know this is a bit early and it could bottle longer, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Anyway, some absolutely great info here, glad to have found the site.

Post all the ingredients, including the exact type of yeast. The theoretical original and final gravity can be calculated. It is in the ballpark, yes.

If the pot was cool to the touch, the temp was probably ok, but you should take the temperature in the future. Should be below 80, generally speaking. Obviously, since it is fermenting, the yeast wasn't killed.

You have to open the lid to take a sample. Just be careful, don't breathe right in it, don't touch anything you don't have to, etc. Don't bother taking a measurement for at least a week or when the bubbling looks like it stopped. It goes without saying, but make remember to sanitize whatever device you are using to extract the beer for the measurement.

Your SG is ok - its at the high end for a Blonde ale. You normally want to toss the yeast at 75 deg or lower -- but seems you're fermenting ok.

I always rack to a secondary when the fermentation levels off after a few days (but this varies from each recipe) -- your best bet is to spend about $10 - $12 on a Sample Thief and a plastic sample holder for your SG meter.

You should be able to remove the airlock - take a sample - put it brew in the sample holder and then measure it. Put the air lock back of course.

Key here is patience and keeping the temperature at 70 degrees or less. You might check it at the two week point and if you're down below 1.016 you could be done.

So leave it alone - watch the temperature - and get your bottles ready and study up on priming and bottling.

Good Luck

Back