First time brewer - need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I got sick of spending way too much money on beer to support my hobby. So I have purchased a starter kit and have put down my very first brew. I've spent some time researching tips and tricks in making good beer but still have a few questions to ask if anyone can help.
Firstly, I started the brew on the night of the 11/11/10. The airlock was showing good signs the very next day and was bubbling like a champ. The problem is, we have had some very hot days and the beer has been fermenting at about 26 to 28 C. I noticed the airlock to stop after only 3 days. I took a hydrometer reading yesterday and it is getting very close to the mark of 1.000. Is this too short a time to finish fermenting?

Also, I bought a second hand auto matica lever bottle capper. I thought I'd better test it first. The problem is I only have twist top long neck bottles and the bottles dont seem to seal too good. Any suggestions?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am currently brewing Black Rock Dry Lager.

im pretty sure target grav, is target grav. if you have gotten from your OG to for FG succesfully, then you should be good.

double check your measurements, and maybe taste it before its trip from ferment to secondary/bottling.

letting it sit longer isnt going to hurt it much though.

twistoffs should cap just the same as pop tops, if the capper is decent, it should seal the same on all and you may just be paranoid.

I am new to this hobby as well, but I thought that you can't really get good results using twist-type bottles. You need to be using pry off type bottles like Sam Adams comes in.

You should be able to buy bottles by the case from your local home brew store. Alternatively, start talking to your beer drinking friends and have them save their empties for you.

Back