First Sour Beer, Big Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
So, I wasn't planning on putting a sour beer together anytime soon. However, I have a five gallon batch of beer going on Wyeast Trappist Blend 3789 (special release). Then it occured to me that the bucket it is fermenting in is going to need to be dedicated to funky/sour beers from here on out.

Second development is that I recently inherrited a fifteen gallon glass demijohn! Its been just sitting empty for a while now, waiting for a reason to exist. Of course that got the wheels turning.

So, here is what I was thinking...1) Brew a six gallon batch of Flander's Red in the "Funk Bucket" with the Roselare Strain (assuming it is available); 2) After a week or two, transfer the entire batch trub and all over the to larger 15 gallon vessel and top off with another 6-7 gallons of fresh wort.

From this point, I have a couple of questions. Instead of the Roselare blend, could I use the cake from the 3789 and just add Pedio and Lacto cultures? (3789 already has the Sacc and Brett). Would there be any benefit to that treatment?

Secondly, can I use the glass demijohn as a mock "Solera" style barrel, removing say 5 gallons at a time and replacing with fresh wort?

OR, make a starter from the roselare, and also one from the 3789 cake and pitch BOTH?

i would just primary the initial six gallons in the demijohn to avoid having to rack the beer. you can definitely utilize the demijohn with the solera method - I would replace 5 gallons every year or so.

Should i make sure the wort fills the 15 gallon carboy up to the neck? Seems like a large surface area if underfilled. On the other hand, I want some oxygen correct? And because it is in glass, it is not going to have the permeability that I would get with a wooden barrel or plastic bucket. Is that logical?

Back