First SMaSH... Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstAidBrewing

Reaction score
Hey All,

Doing my first SMaSH tomorrow with Vienna and Nugget (13.5%). What do you think of the below recipe?

10lb Vienna
.75 oz @ 60 min (35 IBU)
.5 oz @ 30 min (18 IBU)
.5 oz @ 10 min (8 IBU)
.25 oz @ 5 min (2 IBU)
.5 oz @ flameout
.5 oz dry hop for 5 days

I'm mostly wondering if I need to tweak my flamoeout and dry hop additions. My boiling additions I think are good, ad I don't really want to go too much higher on the IBUs (already at 61 at my above rates).

Thoughts?

There really is no right or wrong IMO with a SMASH unless you do something dumb like 10lbs of specialty grain with a bittering hop lol

But, the only thing I would change is the size. I take it you're doing it to test the grain and hops. I have done a lot of SMASH recipes in the 1.5 gallon size and I'm very glad I did. I get to really taste what I'm testing and if I don't like it, I haven't made a ton of beer.

You will definitely get a lot of naysayers on a small batch of beer telling you it's a lot of time invested for a small amount of beer but IMO, SMASH brews are a perfect fit for testing with a small batch.

Have fun RDWHAHB

Has anyone ever done a 3 gallon batch using a single malt and bittering hop (60) /flavor hop (10) & then split them up & then dry hop with 3 differing hops?

You would have to use a good all around hop for the boil additions obviously.

Would warrior or magnum late be neutral enough to highlight the flavor & aroma contribution of the dry hop? Maybe willamette?

What is your batch size and OG? Something is off here...

10# Vienna at 70% efficiency only yields a starting gravity of 1.049.

0.75 oz. of leaf Nugget 13.5% at 60 minutes yields 39 IBUs. Your 5 minute addition is likely 2 IBUs, not 27. Even so, 63 total IBUs for a 1.049 Ale is probably not the wisest decision.

That 5 min addition IBU calculation seems a little off.

MY mistake, that addition contributes 2 IBUs. I'll edit that.

It's mostly an experiment. Wanted to use one of the varieties I have growing in my back yard and the only one that my LHBS had was nugget. My original choice was Mt. Hood.

The boil additions were tricky as they added a LOT of IBUs. I wanted to FWH but it would have pushed close to 80 had I done so. In my OP I was wondering if the flaemout and 5 min additions were close enough that they wouldn't make much difference (i.e. would the hops be better used somewhere else, such as more dry hops)

What is your batch size and OG? Something is off here...

10# Vienna at 70% efficiency only yields a starting gravity of 1.049.

0.75 oz. of leaf Nugget 13.5% at 60 minutes yields 39 IBUs. Your 5 minute addition is likely 2 IBUs, not 27. Even so, 63 total IBUs for a 1.049 Ale is probably not the wisest decision.

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted something drinkable since I'll be going through 5 gallons of it. Hence the low OG (although I think I can get close to 75% efficiency). It falls within BJCP guidelines for IPA bitterness, but are you saying that it's too much for that OG?

With your ingredients and expected OG, I would shoot for an APA instead.

Do something more like this for 5 gallons of Vienna based APA at 1.053 OG (adjusted for 75% efficiency):

0.33 oz. Nugget Leaf 13.5% @ 60 Min
0.33 oz. Nugget Leaf 13.5% @ 15 Min
0.33 oz. Nugget Leaf 13.5% @ 7 Min
1 oz. Nugget Leaf 13.5% @ Flameout
2 oz. Nugget Leaf 13.5% @ 5 Day Dryhop

That's about 29 IBUs. You will have an easy drinking beer with forward hop flavor/aroma and no "harsh" bitterness. Even if you slightly undershoot your 75% efficiency target, your IBUs will still be in the low 30s.

So you're saying for a SMaSH (and I'm under the impression that the whole idea is to get an idea of the flavors of the malts and hops), in general I should be less concerned about hitting the accepted IBU range (29 seems low, even for an APA) and more about the finishing hops and dry hops?

I appreciate the time you took to edit my recipe. Thanks!

(29 seems low, even for an APA)

The flameout addition will add a few more IBUs as well.

Sierra Nevada APA is on the upper side at 37 IBUs. You can bump the 7 minute addition up to 10 minutes if you want to extract 5 more IBUs. Be my guest. It won't really matter as much as you think though.

The hopping structure I go with for APAs and IPAs always relies on heavier dryhop and late additions. In this particular case, you would be using 4 oz. total recipe hops and have roughly 30-34 final IBUs. The malt character will certainly not be muted.

Back