First salami with Umai dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hs1149

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After a trip to Italy last summer & over indulging on all things cured, I have been reading a lot on the art of Salumi & charcuterie. Although I have made fresh sausages multiple times, I never attempted to cure & dry.

I followed Ruhlman & Polcyn basic salami recipe for ingredients. The only things I changed was the grind (I like to salami to have a more rustic chunkier look and texture) & instead for hog casing I used Umai Dry

Partially frozen pork and back fat
2015-11-21%2013.08.54.jpg

The grind
2015-11-21%2012.13.03.jpg

Stuffed Umai casings I a warm place to ferment
2015-11-21%2014.13.15.jpg

The following day I placed them in my kegerator in a wire rack. RH was between 52-70% with a small cpu fan for air circulation. 24 days later the sausages had lost 35% of the weight.
2015-12-14%2015.01.31.jpg

2015-12-19%2017.11.27.jpg

The flavor is good, although I like them spicier. The texture at the ends is what I was hoping for, but the center of salumi is still a bit soft. I plan on letting them dry further, but wanted to have some on my xmas antipasto platter.

Once I use up the remaining umai casing, I'll try hog casings. In the meantime, I am getting the parts together for a dedicated curing/drying chamber.

Those look good. I also used Umai for my first trials. I had very good results from the Italian Salumi.

I've got to do some more batches but I think I want to try the paper or cellulose casings now that I have a proper fermentation chamber.

If you haven't already, try the duck prosciutto recipe from that book. It's the food of the Gods.

I will put the duck prosciutto on the list! All of my friends are hunters. I should have no problem getting duck. These duck, obviously, are wild. They to not have not the big breasts like the commercially available duck. Think is would still be OK?

Nice. I just started my first Capicola a few days ago with the Umai bag. It's my first attempt at dry aging. I plan to stick with the bags until after I move and can build a proper curing chamber.

I've got peperroni hanging in my freezer right now. Actually, they are pretty hard, I think it's time for harvest :)

Reading the Ruhlman & Polcyn books, I was really surprised that pepperoni is traditionally made from beef NOT pork. All of the commercial (ie grocery store) pep is pork & lots-O-fat.

Pls post a pic!

Nice. I just started my first Capicola a few days ago with the Umai bag. It's my first attempt at dry aging. I plan to stick with the bags until after I move and can build a proper curing chamber.

Did you extract the coppa muscle from a Boston Butt and place the whole muscle in bag or did you cube the pork butt, cure it and stuff the umai bag?

I did a Capicola the traditional way, it was ok.

Oh, and the Pancetta? Man, that's good stuff. I didn't care for the Bresaola so much.

And if you haven't already tried this, grind your own hamburger meat, top round is cheap, throw in maybe 20% pork and pork fat and a few slices of bacon. You don't know what you're missing.

Did you extract the coppa muscle from a Boston Butt and place the whole muscle in bag or did you cube the pork butt, cure it and stuff the umai bag?

The full coppa muscle. It still has 2 days left in the cure before it goes in the dry age bag though.

I did a Capicola the traditional way, it was ok.

Oh, and the Pancetta? Man, that's good stuff. I didn't care for the Bresaola so much.

And if you haven't already tried this, grind your own hamburger meat, top round is cheap, throw in maybe 20% pork and pork fat and a few slices of bacon. You don't know what you're missing.

What did you not like about the Bresaola? I was planning to start one next since I have several roasts left from the last half cow I bought.

I have quite a bit of ground beef I'm needing to use up as well and was planning to do summer sausage with a lot of it. I'll try adding some pork/fat/bacon to some. Thanks for the tip.

I made the Bresaola per the recipe and thought it was just bland. Also, being a thick cut it formed a hard crust on the outside and the very center seemed to be un cured.

Is the Ruhlman Charcuterie a good book to get started in this? Id love to make my own cured meats

Salami is excellent from that book.

Don't make the pepperoni recipe in there. Very mediocre - I think pepperoni needs at least some pork. His recipe has no pork and isn't spicey enough for me.

I have to take this back. I just realized that the Ruhlman pepperoni (pepperone) is awesome. It just isn't tasty without being heated. Once heated, it becomes super super delicious. Not sure why.

Cool, thanks! Im really interested in trying some cured meats. The whole humidity issue kind of scares me in South Florida tho

I made the Bresaola per the recipe and thought it was just bland. Also, being a thick cut it formed a hard crust on the outside and the very center seemed to be un cured.

A chewy, jerky like outside and soft center is actually what's know as case hardening. You can minimize it by vacuum bagging the finished product for a couple weeks.

Back