First S40 brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambop

Reaction score
Just finished my first brew using my new Grainfather S40 to make an English ESB. Everything went perfectly I have pretty much nailed the gravities pre and post boil but did get about one litre less volume in the fermenter ? Not moaning though I have an OG of 13.25 Plato and the predicted was 13.28 . The biggest down side is cleaning up :no: My double immersion chiller worked amazing I required 50L of mains water to reduce the temperature to 18.4C which is slightly lower than I actually wanted. Most of the cooling happened in the first 30L... saved that water for cleaning :thumbsup:

Now we wait :D ... but I have a feeling that this beer will be a good bit stronger than I actually intended as I used Nottingham and it has a high attenuation.

Boil off is a common culprit for vanishing liquids, as well as things like water absorption into the grain. Looks like you are cooking now! :) Let us know how it turns out. And kudos for saving that water!

Back