Alternative Grain Beer First Recipe: Horror at Red Hook RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
Yes? (warm water and sugar)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
?
Final Gravity
1.01ish
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks in bottle
Tasting Notes
Very nice spicy rye pale ale. Maybe a little \'thin.\'
-6lb Northern Brewer Rye LME (70% 2 row, 20% rye, 10% caramel 40)
1 1/2 cups Pale DME
-2lb Munich malt
-1lb Rye grain
-1oz. Liberty hops, 60 min
-1oz. Cascade hops, last 15 min
-1 tsp Irish moss, last 15 min
-1 tbsp lightly crushed caraway seeds, last 15 min

Steep Munich and rye grains in 2 1/2 gallon water at 160 for 20 minutes. Add liquid and dry malt extract with liberty hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add cascade hops, irish moss and crushed caraway seeds for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Cool and pitch with Safale-05. Primary fermenter for about a week or more, bottle condition for a couple weeks.

So this is my first recipe I tried to create and the fourth beer I'd ever brewed. I pretty much studied the composition of other recipes on this site to base my measurements on. Didn't have a hydrometer when it was brewed so I didn't get gravity readings, but tested it later and is around 1.01 or so. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Taste: Nice and spicy in a rye sort of way. Caraway seeds add a hint of liquorice like sweetness. Nice amount of hops, maybe a little 'thin' like some English bitters. Could maybe use a little bit of something to give it a sweet or 'base' flavor.

Color: Dark amber/red.

Other thoughts: I'm wondering if I would need to use the same amount of steeping grains to get the same flavor. Also might try adding a half pound or so of a caramel or other sweet grain to balance out the flavor. Also, doesn't have very good head retention, but doesn't really bother me.

Back