First Rack: Foamy Sanitizer... OK to leave some residual?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clockwise

Reaction score
Noob here. I'm about to rack my first batch. The sanitzier I used (StarSan) got pretty foamy in the korny. I ran all the liquid out, but there is a lot of residual foam in the keg & the faucet line. Is this OK?

Also, OK to throw the c02 tank in my keezer?

Yes to both!

Just in case you don't know, you CO2 tank will read approximately 600 psi once the bottle is chilled.

You are welcome and... ;)

The co2 pressure gauge always baffles people. Basically co2 is in a liquid form in the tank. Once you remove the gas at the top of the tank some more liquid changes to gas and fills that head space again to maintain equilibrium. The pressure will stay fairly stable until the very end of the tank. If you want to know how much is left you need to weigh it. Make sure to take the regulator off to get an accurate weight. The tare weight of the tank will be stamped somewhere near the hydro test date at the shoulder of the tank.

You are welcome and... ;)

The co2 pressure gauge always baffles people. Basically co2 is in a liquid form in the tank. Once you remove the gas at the top of the tank some more liquid changes to gas and fills that head space again to maintain equilibrium. The pressure will stay fairly stable until the very end of the tank. If you want to know how much is left you need to weigh it. Make sure to take the regulator off to get an accurate weight. The tare weight of the tank will be stamped somewhere near the hydro test date at the shoulder of the tank.

Just got a 5# tank exchanged. I figured this would last me ~10 corny kegs from what I read.

So I just racked it, applied the c02 to ~30 psi (want it ready by this Saturday if possible) and stuck it in the new Haier 5' cu. chest freezer I picked up. I don't have my digital temp control in yet, but I just stuck the OEM temp control on closest setting to "Off" and left a thermometer in there. Checking in a little bit. It didn't seem that cold TBH. Also, just drank about 20 oz of the test sample. Very hoppy! :ban:

It will have quite a bit of work to cool all that liquid down. My keezer always cranks hard for a number of hours to cool a keg down. I had an analog johnson control before but I just finished the install of my love controller today (I love telling that to non-brewing people, they always look at me sideways). I really like being able to see the temperature on the front of my collar.

I hit a snag. My digital temp regulator isn't arriving for awhile... can I just leave the freezer door open so it never reaches freezing temps? I don't want the beer to freeze... it looks like even on the warmest setting that the beer will freeze eventually..... any ideas?

I had some excess Starsan that coiled out of the carboy and around the drain tube as I transfered my beer yesterday.

IMG_20140305_185528.jpg

I realize your anxious, but to keg a room temp batch on Thursday hoping it will be ready Saturday is very optimistic. It will take almost that long to chill, let alone carb...but it will get better by the hour / day / week.
Cheers!

Back