First Partial Mash - Question about procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fionnbharr

Just Some Guy in a Hat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quick newbie question:

In the mash tun -- after it's pre-heated, do you add the water to the malts or do you add the malts to the water?

(Joe Summerjob, manning the cash register at the LHBS, didn't know / couldn't tell me.)

[Answer from replies: "Add the Grains to the heated water"]

Quick newbie question:

In the mash tun -- after it's pre-heated, do you add the water to the malts or do you add the malts to the water?

(Joe Summerjob, manning the cash register at the LHBS, didn't know / couldn't tell me.)

I haven't actually done this yet, so take it with a grain of salt, but I believe you add the grain to the water, mixing it while you do to avoid dough balls. I think it's called "doughing in."

I did it last night. You add the grains to the water. I heated my water to 165 with the brew bag in the water. Then I added (in about 3 different pours) all my grains (5 lbs) and mixed with my stir rod until all the grains were completely wet with no dough balls. I used 2 gallons of water and my pot is 7.5 gallons. There was plenty of room for the grains to move around, that is until they began soaking up all the water. I did that for 45 minutes and then trasnfered the grain bag to my other 7.5 pot with 2 gallons of water at 165 and stirred it around for 10-15 minutes. Then I removed bag and set aside and poured both together. When I added my grains it dropped my water temp down to 154 and I put the lid on and my pots held the heat for my time I wanted. I have heard stirring it loses heat, but I actually had to stir to bring the temp down and at one point threw some ice in.

ADD WATER FIRST! I just figured this out during my last brew.
Question; If you have a mashtun, why not go all grain? Just a thought.

ADD WATER FIRST! I just figured this out during my last brew.
Question; If you have a mashtun, why not go all grain? Just a thought.

personally, i can't do full boils, so i partial for now...gotta get that turkey fryer!

Go to Academy Sports- They have a turkey fryer for under 30 bucks that will get the job done! Plus they have MEAN prices on aluminum pots of all sizes. I bought a 7.5 gallon one for $19.95 that came with lid, thermometer and the turkey rack (although I bought it for brewing).

P.S.- If you get aluminum which is fine and actually heats up and cools quicker that SS, make sure you boil a full batch of water in if first for an hour and pour out. Also DO NOT use oxyclean on it- it will mess it up.

Back