First keezer build questionsm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarhead2000

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm piecing together my first keezer build and have a few questions.

I am using a 5cu ft Insignia chest freezer and will be building a collar. I currently have 1 5g ball lock keg and am looking to purchase another soon.

I already have a brand new 10lb CO2 tank and
this regulator
If placing that outside the keezer that would free the compressor hump for a smaller keg in future.

How would i go about sending gas into the keezer? 3 way Manifold for future proofing? AFAIK that would be good if serving at same pressure. How would that setup work for carbing 1 keg while serving out of the other(s)?

Would I benefit from a secondary regulator setup?

My goal is to have both beer and seltzer in keezer. (In any combination)

I plan on starting with just 1 keg but adding the others within the next few months.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

This thread will give you lots of ideas.

Since you plan to build a collar and have your gas bottle outside you can run the gas line through a hole in the collar. Your manifold can go inside, if space is available, or outside, which would require 3 holes in the collar instead of one. A second regulator is important if you want to serve brews at different carbonation levels. For carbing one keg with others at serving pressure you simply shut off the gas, at the manifold, to the carbonated kegs and increase the pressure to the new keg. Unless you’re planning a party for the day that the new keg is carbonating you can pour several pints, without significantly affecting the carb level, from the other kegs while the gas is shut off. If using the “set and forget” carb method, where you set the pressure on the new keg to serving pressure and wait 10-15 days for it to carb, you won’t need a second regulator.

The thread linked above shows keezers and kegerators that range from very utilitarian to over-the-top deluxe. You should find the answers to most of your questions there.

I've found with just about everything in homebrewing, whatever I need now, I always run into a need for more/bigger later.

When I built my keezer, my 2-tap kegerator wasn't enough for me because I'd want to be serving 2 beers but have a need to cold crash/carbonate something frequently. When I looked at my brewing/serving habits, it seemed the most I'd ever have on tap was 4 beers, so I built a keezer that could hold 6 cornys just to protect for that more/bigger factor. And guess what? On the rare ocassion, I've had all 4 taps pouring, and my old 2-tap kegerator back in service, and cold crashing in my beer fridge because I needed the space.

Since you already have easily thought of justification for having 2 different pressures at once, definitely get a dual regulator model. You'll kick yourself later if you don't. If you can afford it, go for 3+ (since you already have a usage in mind for 2).

You might be space constrained on how big of a chest freezer will fit wherever you're putting it. If not, make sure you've got enough room in there for everything you think you currently want- 1 beer + 1 seltzer at a time? Better make sure there's room for 4 kegs. etc.

Back