First homemade recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonPascal

Reaction score
Hi All, we are 2 new brewers, we want to start with a Stout and we decided to go with the russian imperial stout style.

La Cougar
13-F Russian Imperial Stout
Auteur: Simon

Grosseur: 8,0 L
Efficience: 72,0%
Atténuation: 75,0%
Calories: 284,63 kcal per 12,0 fl oz

Densité Initiale: 1,085 (1,075 - 1,115)
|===========#====================|
Densité finale: 1,021 (1,018 - 1,030)
|============#===================|
Couleur: 37,44 (30,0 - 40,0)
|===================#============|
Alcool: 8,42% (8,0% - 12,0%)
|=========#======================|
Amertume: 54,2 (50,0 - 90,0)
|=========#======================|

Ingrédients:
0,11 kg Chocolate Malt
0,16 kg Maple Syrup
0,1 kg Roasted Malt (Black Malt)
1,29 kg 2-Row Brewers Malt
1,29 kg Stout Malt[/size]
23 g Bullion (7,5%) - Ajouté à l'ébullition bouilli 60 min
5 g Fuggle (4,8%) - Ajouté à l'ébullition bouilli 1 min
1,0 ea White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout
0,11 kg Black Roasted Barley
0,17 kg Roasted Wheat

Horaire:
Air ambiant: 21,11 °C
Eau de source: 15,56 °C
Altitude: 0,0 m

What do you think of it ?

Not to be a bore, but... we tend to use non-metric measurements around here. Mentally converting kg to lb is a pain.

That said: it looks fairly delicious! I'm not a huge fan of stouts, but yours looks really excellent. It will require a lot of conditioning, though, at that ABV%. If you can be patient then this will probably be a very good beer.

Patience is the hardest thing for many new brewers. That's why you should brew a fast, easy beer as your first batch, in most cases, and then brew the beer you *really* want as your second batch.

But the recipe looks decent to me (if my mental conversions were accurate).

La Cougar
13-F Russian Imperial Stout
Auteur: Simon

Grosseur: 2,11 gal
Efficience: 75,0%
Atténuation: 75,0%
Calories: 284,63 kcal per 12,0 fl oz

Densité Initiale: 1,085 (1,075 - 1,115)
Densité finale: 1,021 (1,018 - 1,030)
Couleur: 36,82 (30,0 - 40,0)
Alcool: 8,42% (8,0% - 12,0%)
Amertume: 54,2 (50,0 - 90,0)

Ingrédients:
0,24 lb Chocolate Malt
0,35 lb Maple Syrup
0,22 lb Roasted Malt (Black Malt)
2,73 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2,73 lb Stout Malt
0,81 oz Bullion (7,5%) - Ajouté à l'ébullition bouilli 60 min
0,18 oz Fuggle (4,8%) - Ajouté à l'ébullition bouilli 1 min
1,0 oz White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout
0,24 lb Black Roasted Barley
0,35 lb Roasted Wheat

Not to be a bore, but... we tend to use non-metric measurements around here. Mentally converting kg to lb is a pain.

That said: it looks fairly delicious! I'm not a huge fan of stouts, but yours looks really excellent. It will require a lot of conditioning, though, at that ABV%. If you can be patient then this will probably be a very good beer.

Patience is the hardest thing for many new brewers. That's why you should brew a fast, easy beer as your first batch, in most cases, and then brew the beer you *really* want as your second batch.

But the recipe looks decent to me (if my mental conversions were accurate).

Thanks for the tips, we will be extra careful. We have a friend that brew since 10 years so we will have him there for our first brew. I'm using maple syrup because it's less expensive (I get it free from the familly sugar shack).

We start with small wuantities because we want to test the recipe. This is our base but we will change stuff to fit our taste.

Ahh... bitterness.

I'm with you, keep it sweet! I can't stand a stout that thinks it's an IPA. ;)

Real maple syrup... it's too bad most of the maple flavoring will ferment out. :(

Bought my ingredient. 24$CAD !
I have to roast my wheat tho. They didn't had the stout malt, I've picked a pale gambrinus instead is it a good choice ?

You have to roast your own wheat? Okay. :)

I don't know what that substitution (gambrinus instead of stout) will do... I yield to others with more experience.

Yeah, the place where I buy my grains doesn't have the roasted wheat. So I'll use my cook skill and a frypan to roast them. I'm used to roast peanuts so it shouldn't be hard. Then grind it with my trusty Robocoupe!

You don't know the Gambrinus or the stout one ?

Yeah, the place where I buy my grains doesn't have the roasted wheat. So I'll use my cook skill and a frypan to roast them. I'm used to roast peanuts so it shouldn't be hard. Then grind it with my trusty Robocoupe!

You don't know the Gambrinus or the stout one ?

I'd say search the forums for that topic. If no one has posted it, start it as a new topic, either here in newbie forum, or in the grain forum.

That's my best advice. :(

I got my grains today. They grinded them for me!!!! ;)
Now I need to get the time to make the wort and everything. (Next week).
I got White's Lab liquid yeast, I've been told this is the best lab for yeast on the market.
I'm really enjoying the smell of the grain, it smell soooooo good, is it a sign that the beer will be good?

I would love to show pictures but I would need to get my membership. Maybe at next pay check ;)

I got White's Lab liquid yeast, I've been told this is the best lab for yeast on the market.

This is the opinion of some, but others feel differently. *shrug*

I'm really enjoying the smell of the grain, it smell soooooo good, is it a sign that the beer will be good?

It's a sign that if the beer isn't good, the reason isn't the grain. ;)

Well, it's my first all grain (in fact beer) ever. My Bro in law has brewed some extract before. We'll manage to do it. We are reading How To Brew from John Palmer.

It's the big day today. We are looking forward to make the boil and everything. In my recipe they tell me to boil 12L of water to obtain 8L of beer is it a generality ? I'm going to take my time, to brew it right. Some one told me that it take about 6 hours to make a full grain. I'm going to prepare every thing, have all the equipment clean and sterilized. I'm sure it will be an awesome exerience and I will then maybe make a bigger batch.

The amount of boil-off depends on a lot of factors... but boiling off 1/3 of what you started with is maybe a bit high, but I think reasonable. I hope it goes well (or, since you posted yesterday, maybe "I hope it went well" would be more accurate)!

We had fun. It took about 2 hours of preparation, cleaning and sterilizing everything, torrefied my wheat. Then I grinded it. added it to my grains. I'm made the wort with a temperature of 153°F. I tasted it before adding the hop in the boil. It tasted like sugar and a lot of it. I've added the maple syrup in the boil. We hope to have a beer soon ;) (3 weeks is soon enough.)

Now it's the fermentation that is causing me problem. I've added the irish ale yeast and I hope it is active. I'll have to ask my dad to look (the brew is at his house), long story short, my wife and my sister didn't want to beer to be brewed at home. So we decided to do it at my dad. I'll have to ask my dad to check the fermentation.

I'll call him to check that. I've put the bubler thing already on it. We have a 23 quarts bucket and we only have 10 quarts in the bucket. So if my dad remove the bubler to inject air inside the first 72 hours will it work ?

By bubbler thing you mean airlock?

10L in a 23L bucket will work fine for primary fermentation. The yeast produce enough carbon dioxide to create a protective "blanket" over the top of the beer. The carbon dioxide blanket will keep the oxygen out, which is good, because oxygen in the beer can make it taste "stale".

Allow me to be perfectly clear: oxygen BEFORE fermentation -- necessary. Oxygen AFTER fermentation begins -- bad.

Back