First gf all grain......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenoglass

Not only do I brew but I play ukulele!
Reaction score
So was thinking of a stout. Not sure if this would work or not...any clue...thanks

3lb pils buckwheat
1lb chocolate buckwheat
1lb rolled oats
1lb molasses boil
1lb dark Candi sugar boil

No clue but hope this works out....what temp should I mash at, I also have some enzymes to help out.

Thanks.

I’m not familiar with the buckwheat malts so I cant comment too much on the grain bill. I’d keep the sugars at around 10-20% or you risk over attenuating. What enzymes do you have? We generally do reverse step mashes to hit the gelatinization temps of the GF malts first then drop down to sacc temps, adding the appropriate enzymes for each step.

Check out glutenfreehomebrewing.com for recipes grains and brewing tips. And go back through the old posts here. Way back. There’s really good stuff there.

I got some amylase enzymes to use.

Thanks for the info I will be doing research here and on gf Homebrew for sure.

I highly recommend using Termamyl as your primary enzyme. It works through a wide temperature range and also helps with gelatinization. When I started using it my efficiency shot through the roof. You’ll need something else the break down the more complex sugars to make a more fermentable wort, typically some sort of glucoamylase. Again, use judiciously or you risk an over attenuated beer.

As you’re strolling through the old posts here check out anything from jmath, glutard chris, and legume. I’m can’t say they came up with the methods we use mostly today but they definitely pushed the process forward.

Back