First ever batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynxpilot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody ever make their first batch and it turned out so good they didn't change anything and that's all they ever made and they were happy ever after?

.....and I just received my first grain kit today (Caribou Slobber). Finishing my enclosure on the back deck and I'll be in business

Actually, your first batch won’t be that good but, because it will taste remarkably like beer, and you made it by your very own self, you will probably like it a lot.

After a few years, and a few dozen batches, you will realize that your first one wasn’t that good, But, at the time, damn it was good! :cool:

Actually, your first batch won’t be that good but, because it will taste remarkably like beer, and you made it by your very own self, you will probably like it a lot.

After a few years, and a few dozen batches, you will realize that your first one wasn’t that good, But, at the time, damn it was good! :cool:
Agreed. I just started brewing last August, quickly became obsessed, and have brewed 30+ batches since then. The quality is definitely getting better. But even if that first batch had been perfect, who wants to make just one type of beer over and over? I like more variety.

Anyway, I have saved one bottle from my first batch to drink exactly one year later. I'm sure it will be oxidized as hell by that point, so I won't be able to entirely blame its taste on my poor initial technique. But even accounting for that, I am confident I'll recognize a substantial improvement in what I have brewed since then.

I'm planning on following instructions from the equipment mfgrs and recipe to a tee and go from there. Just looked at grain prices for bulk compared to buying kits and I'm seeing bulk in my near future. Just have to resolve a few issues I'm totally confused about now, namely pH control and how much sparge to use. Reading Palmer book like crazy.

I'm planning on following instructions from the equipment mfgrs and recipe to a tee and go from there. Just looked at grain prices for bulk compared to buying kits and I'm seeing bulk in my near future. Just have to resolve a few issues I'm totally confused about now, namely pH control and how much sparge to use. Reading Palmer book like crazy.
Would not recommend getting too wrapped up in PH control this early in the game. Get your process down first then worry about manipulating your water source. PH is only a small piece of the puzzle, and having the right quantities of nutrients in your water is more important than just the PH itself.

Secondly, I'm a BIAB guy, and while I can't offer you too much help regarding sparge water I would recommend using one of the many calculators/brewing softwares out there (most also offer a free trial). I use Brewfather and I know it has functions to help you calculate sparge water, etc. And will really save you a lot of time versus making manual calculations.

Back