First crack at my own recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shdwboy

Reaction score
Hey yall Im new to the forumand searching for advice. Im also fairly new to homebrewing also. I have a bit of ciders and extract kits done but I want to give a shot at something I came up with.

Recipe type: Extract
Yeast:WLP300
Batch Size:5 Gal
Original Gravity (EST):???
Final Gravity (EST):???
Boiling Time:60
Primary Fermentation:14 days

Grain
1lb Honey malt (steep prior to boil)
4oz. Flaked Oats (steep pior to boil)
6.6 lb Wheat LME (at start of boil)
1lb Honey (at start of boil)
.67oz Hallertauer Hops (at start of boil)
1lb Wheat DME (20min left of boil)

Sorry if I made this confusing or left stuff out. I think I went overboard on fermentables. But im new and searching for advice. Im looking for a honey vanilla bannana hefeweizen. If that makes sense. Any feed back would be awesome. Thanks yall and cheers!!!

I get OG 1.068 and FG 1.017 (approximate)

This is going to be heavy (6% ABV) and way sweet (~6 IBU).

Back off the LME to 3.3# and up the DME to 2#, and up the hops to a full 1 oz and you'll at least be "in style" according to most recipe calculators.

Whether any of this tastes good, I don't know. I don't typically deal with extract recipes, and I still don't have my own wheat beer where I want it.

I would move the honey to flameout instead of the full 60 minute boil. At 60 minutes you'll boil out all the honeyness and only be left with the sugar that you could have got with more extract or even dextrose

I would back off the honey malt, it is very potent I used a pound in my pale ale and it overpowers everything, and that's with 12 lbs of other malt. Use a bit to get a nice honey flavor, maybe like 1/4th a pound. I'm really new to this, so take my advice with a grain of salt haha.

Alright. Im going with 3.3# of the LME and 2# of DME. 4oz of honey malt and adding the honey at the end of boil.So i should go with a full oz of hops ur saying? And thanks much yall for the responses.

Shdwboy, I'm not fond of OMGHOPSLOL, so I understand trying to go light on it. That said, you're using an aroma hop (not great for bittering, mostly for aroma [smell, alt flavors]), which usually means you want more, and possibly, more additions of it. I would even venture to say 1oz @ 60 and another .5oz @ 7-5minutes (somewhere in that range). Other than that, and moving the honey addition to after you remove heat (right before you chill), this sounds rich and sweet :) Very interesting, and please update this thread with how things go, because you never know... I may want to brew your Shadow Honeysweet :)

Well I went with my last post for the recipe I used. Did a 8 day check on the SG and im sitting around 1.020 and still bubbling. It taste freakin awesome! Keeping it in the mid 60s to do its thing. Second day in I had to fix up a blow off. Pretty crazy fermentation. Once again thanks everyone that posted in helping me out on my first recipe. Yall are great. Ill keep ya updated as it finishes up. trying to fig out a catchy name for this special one to me
Cheers!

Well I went with my last post for the recipe I used. Did a 8 day check on the SG and im sitting around 1.020 and still bubbling. It taste freakin awesome! Keeping it in the mid 60s to do its thing. Second day in I had to fix up a blow off. Pretty crazy fermentation. Once again thanks everyone that posted in helping me out on my first recipe. Yall are great. Ill keep ya updated as it finishes up. trying to fig out a catchy name for this special one to me
Cheers!
Sounds good, post the updated recipe, I may want to brew this one if it tastes as good as you say.

Did you raise the amount of hops and add a late addition hop? I would think that would help to ward off some of the sweetness, it's all in each persons preference though.

I used to love Wit's and Hefeweizen's, then my taste moved towards amber, then pale ales, now I'm more of an APA IPA kinda guy. I guess I've gravitated away from sweetness a bit but a good cold Hefe on a hot summer day can be pretty refreshing, that's actually how I was first addicted to wit bier, chugging a Hoegaarden after a day in the 95 degree heat mowing lawns.. I drank it like the water I should have been drinking.

Best of luck to you brother, I hope it turns out exactly how you want and congrats on stepping out to brew your own beer

I did one hop addition. 1oz at 60. It is on the sweet side but very pleasurable.

I had the day off due to the weather and my mind started to wander. I started thinking about taking a gallon of this and racking it on top of sweetgrass. I have no idea what it will taste like but it would be cool to incorporate some of my hometown heritage into my beer. Have any of yall used it amd how would you go about sanitizing?

Ok y'all sorry for the late response. This beer turned out great!!! Taste, smell and color was spot on. Fermentation was wild for almost a week. Had to rig up my first blow off. But everyone that tried it enjoyed. I sent a few to my grandparents and they were very impressed. My grandfather and his friend are old school brewers their self. Me and my friend went with the name Nauti German. And it was a hit.

Back