First cider, coopers brewing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent44

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm just preparing to make a test batch of apple cider, I couldn't get any Nottingham yeast liked wanted in my town, the only beer yeast I could get was coopers brewers yeast, my question is has anyone used this yeast in an apple cider, and if so how did it turn out. I was planning on making one gallon batch using unfiltered uv pasteurized apple cider I picked up from Walmart yesterday. I just don't want to pitch a bunk yeast if it's just not going to work out. I have lalvin d47 and 71b on hand also, just wanted to try an ale yeast is all. Also should I add sugar, and if so what is a starting gravity should I shoot for to have a mostly dry cider with maybe a hint of sweetness there. Thanks so much!

Ok so I started this batch, one gallon Ryan's unfiltered apple cider from Walmart and one package of coopers brewing yeast, I'm new to hydrometers, just got it today but it read 1.048 so if I am correct that's gonna finish around 6% am I right? Oh I also added a little less then 1/4 tsp of peptic enzyme and 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient. Here goes!

Back