First Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawa

Reaction score
Hello all! Very interesting forum, have gotten a lor of great information reading the posts!

I have just brewed my first batch (fat tire clone) and have a couple of questions.

I decided to buy a "better bottle" insted of a glass carboy for a secondary (I choose the Better Bottle because it easier to transport) What dou you think about Better Bottle's?

Also, I made a mistake when ordering the bottle, because of my inexperience I ordered a 6 gallon instead of a 5 gallon. Will I have a problem whith the secondary fermentation using the 6 gallon bottle?

Any help will be appreciated!
Mawa

i have no idea what the "better bottle" is, but i can tell you that using a 6 gallon as a secondary won't be a problem. You could also use it as a primary for something like cider or mead!

I love my Better Bottle. Did you get the spigot option? I highly recommend it. Personally, I'd never buy one smaller than 6 gallons. Some folks don't like "head space," but I don't see a problem with it whatsoever.

Yuri_Rage said:
I love my Better Bottle. Did you get the spigot option? I highly recommend it. Personally, I'd never buy one smaller than 6 gallons. Some folks don't like "head space," but I don't see a problem with it whatsoever.

I agree about the spigot, it bumps up the price significantly but is well worth it.
Better Bottles rock! :rockin:
Just don't dump anything really hot in them, they will warp! Also if you are racking from one using the spigot and forget to take the airlock off the top it'll slowly crumple up like a crushed beer can. Pop out the airlock and it pops back into shape...kinda cool actually, but can't be good for the bottle.

I've been curious about reducing the headspace in a situation like that. Would it be possible, when racking to a 6 gal secondary, to add a very small amount of extract/priming sugar?

I'm thinking that a small 'secondary' fermentation will push the oxygen out of the extra headspace, thus reducing the chance for oxidation.

Would this work?

Tell you what works better, but you need a CO2 source. Just release some CO2 in the bottom of your secondary prior to racking. CO2 is heavier than air and will gently climb up as the volume increase in the secondary. Keeps air out and thus helps prevent oxidation. Not a lot, but some.

Ol' Grog said:
Tell you what works better, but you need a CO2 source. Just release some CO2 in the bottom of your secondary prior to racking. CO2 is heavier than air and will gently climb up as the volume increase in the secondary. Keeps air out and thus helps prevent oxidation. Not a lot, but some.

That's a great little nugget to store away. I had no idea you could do that. Too bad my 20lb tank is out of date. :mad:

Back